You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to remove vector checkerboard background?

I exported as png. The photo I attached above is png. Attached to this message is the vector image by itself. I just now put it in Infinity and exported it as png. It still has the checkered background. I regret I don't understand how to export any less than the whole document. I just select export then select the type of file to export an image in. I'd appreciate any advice you could give me on this.
Many thanks 

TEST.png

3 minutes ago, GailToo said:

Attached to this message is the vector image by itself.

The image you’ve attached is in PNG format.

I just now put it in Infinity and exported it as png.

*Affinity

It may not matter in this particular case, but it’s usually helpful if you state which Affinity app you’re using.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Try this

Blue-veil.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

You could set the layer blend mode to something like Screen to get that veiled look

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

This one has transparency

Blue-veil-Transparency.png

9 minutes ago, GailToo said:

I exported as png. The photo I attached above is png. Attached to this message is the vector image by itself. I just now put it in Infinity and exported it as png. It still has the checkered background. I regret I don't understand how to export any less than the whole document. I just select export then select the type of file to export an image in. I'd appreciate any advice you could give me on this.
Many thanks 

TEST.png

Png is fine, in the export dialogue where it says Area, change to: Selection without background.

The Affinity Photo version I'm using is 1.7.3. - Not sure if that's what you're asking for. I use Affinity on my laptop. 

The attached is what I *believe* is the afdesign file. It ends with .afphoto. If that isn't it, please let me know how to export the afdesign file.

I'll try your suggestion on setting the layer blend mode to something like Screen to get the veiled look. The photo you attached is beautiful.
I hope I'll be able to understand how to do that. :-) 

TEST.afphoto

3 minutes ago, dutchshader said:

this is not a vector file, it looks like a screenshot of a vector file.

Oh - you're right! It is a screenshot of a vector file. I'm so stupid! So in other words, I have to get the actual vector image before this will work - well, what a surprise. lol!! 

I was just trying to see how I can use vectors before purchasing one. I had read online various things online about using vectors with transparent backgrounds. It seemed

to take a lot of steps to change them to transparent, but it appears that isn't the case at all with Affinity. 

I wanted to be sure I could do it before finding and downloading a vector image I actually want to use. I'm so sorry for the trouble and time I caused you!

Thank you for your many replies trying to help me! 

3 minutes ago, GailToo said:

I was just trying to see how I can use vectors before purchasing one.

Before throwing good money at this, why not try one of the many sources of free vector images such as Vecteezy?

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

So I'm back to where I started. Still can't get rid of vector checkerboard background.

I'm using Affinity Photo version 1.7.3 on my Mac laptop.

I downloaded a paid for Shutterstock vector image with a checkerboard background. The vector image downloaded from Shutterstock with the file name rendered.png

I opened my lion image in Affinity. Then placed the rendered.png image on top of it. The checkered background is still there. See attached.

For extra measure, I tried it again by opening the vector in Affinity then exporting it to png without background. I then closed it and opened my lion image and

placed the new png vector on top of it. The checkered background is still showing. See second attachment. What am I doing wrong? 

As a side note, I tried the free knot vector dutchshader gave me a link to before I purchased the Shutterstock vector and it worked perfectly. See attached image. Note the filename downloaded to my laptop was knot.svg. Shutterstock didn't give svg as an option. It said png supports transparency. Why isn't the paid for Shutterstock vector working? 

Vector Placed.png

Rendered exported png placed.png

Knot Vector.png

1 hour ago, GailToo said:

The vector image downloaded from Shutterstock with the file name rendered.png

PNG files are not vector; they are raster.

I suspect something happened during the download, and you do not have what you intended to get. PNG images do support transparency, but it seems you may have ended up with a PNG that, instead of having transparency, is an image that includes the checkerboard pattern. (I.e., as earlier in this discussion, still something like a screenshot of a display of the vector file.)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

2 hours ago, GailToo said:

I downloaded a paid for Shutterstock vector image with a checkerboard background. The vector image downloaded from Shutterstock with the file name rendered.png

Try this:

1. Select (highlight) the rendered.png file in Finder on your Mac. (Don't open the file, just select it.)
  2. From the File menu, select "Get Info."
  3. In the Info window that opens, the last line in the "More Info" section should say either "Alpha channel: Yes" or "Alpha channel: No."
  4. Which does it say?

If it says "Alpha channel: No" then the png file does not include transparency.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Thank you R C-R. It says 'Alpha channel: No'  Is there anything I can do to download it as transparent? It seems Shutterstock, of all companies, ought to include transparency with its vector files that have checkerboard backgrounds?? 

5 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

PNG files are not vector; they are raster.

I suspect something happened during the download, and you do not have what you intended to get. PNG images do support transparency, but it seems you may have ended up with a PNG that, instead of having transparency, is an image that includes the checkerboard pattern. (I.e., as earlier in this discussion, still something like a screenshot of a display of the vector file.)

Thank you walt.farrell. As with my question for C R-C, do you know if there's anything I can do to download it as transparent? 

R C-R and walt.farrell  - I just looked through Shutterstock help. It appears I need Adobe Illustrator in order to edit their vector files. Illustrator is $29/month and not within my budget for the simple kind of work I do with images. Do you know of any other solution? Thank you