You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to remove vector checkerboard background?

it looks like you downloaded the preview, and not the vector file.

even if you downloaded the png without transparancy the checkerboard would not be visible on a placed file.

it would be white.

intel core i5,  16GB 128Gb ssd win10 Pro Huion new 1060plus.

philips 272p 2560x1440px on intel HD2500 onboard graphics

Razer Tartarus Chroma

You seems to download/save the preview of the file. You need to use the button or link that'll get you the real file once you've sign-up and paid for this file.

You'll be able to open some Illustrator vector files with AD only if the file contains a PDF preview.

You can try other sites providing vector files or try downloading other vector formats like EPS or SVG.

2 hours ago, dutchshader said:

after you log in to shutterstock this is what you should see and download:

shutter.thumb.png.dd27ba0ea03eadfc5b4b995df3b8701f.png

Yes, that's exactly the page I get when I download. I suspect I'll need to contact Shutterstock support to straighten this out. Thank you for your kind help! 

2 hours ago, Wosven said:

You seems to download/save the preview of the file. You need to use the button or link that'll get you the real file once you've sign-up and paid for this file.

You'll be able to open some Illustrator vector files with AD only if the file contains a PDF preview.

You can try other sites providing vector files or try downloading other vector formats like EPS or SVG.

Thank you, Wosven. I suspect I'll need to contact Shutterstock support to get this worked out. Thank you for your help! 

14 minutes ago, GailToo said:

Yes, that's exactly the page I get when I download.

So when you select the "Vector" format as circled in the screenshot & click the red "Download" button, what is the name & extension of the file that is downloaded to your Mac? Is it "rendered.png" or something else?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

1 minute ago, R C-R said:

So when you select the "Vector" format as circled in the screenshot & click the red "Download" button, what is the name & extension of the file that is downloaded to your Mac? Is it "rendered.png" or something else?

It's rendered.png 

1 minute ago, GailToo said:

It's rendered.png 

Very weird. As previously mentioned, the PNG file format is not a vector file format so the site never should have served a png file to your Mac if you selected the vector format for your download.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

2 minutes ago, R C-R said:

Very weird. As previously mentioned, the PNG file format is not a vector file format so the site never should have served a png file to your Mac if you selected the vector format for your download.

My sincerest apologies. I just tried it again and it downloaded as shutterstock_1278768349.eps  I was looking at an 'old' file I exported from Affinity while trying different things.

3 hours ago, Wosven said:

Now, you'll be able to do your tests :)

I misspoke. I did test using the eps file downloaded at Shutterstock. Something must be wrong somewhere. I'll get to the bottom of this and let everyone know what I find out.

Thank you again for your kind help!

Hi All, I said I'd let you know what Shutterstock support said in reply to my request for help. Here it is. To all who helped, thank you very much! I'm impressed with how much you all care about helping others! 

Thanks for reaching out.

I apologize for the inconvenience caused to you, I would like to inform you that a vector file can be edited with the help you Adobe Illustrator, Corel Draw or any other Software that supports an EPS file for editing.

You can download Inkscape, Gravit or BoxySVG which is free to download and easily available on google and compatible to edit the EPS file.

Please reach out to us for further assistance.

• 2 weeks later...

To my friends from this thread. I'm still having trouble removing checkerboard patterns to make backgrounds transparent.

Per one of my latest posts at this thread, I tried Gravit as a way to remove it. I still had trouble even with Gravit so I've been working with Gravit support. 

The support person said there's something unusual about the graphic I'm working on. I bought it from Shutterstock and it's an eps file. 

He said "I've never seen a file like yours. Usually, the rose would be alone. Or, at least separated in a different layer/group."

I replied that I wondered if it's my operating system since I've been talking to people at this forum and they seem to think it should be easy to make the background t
ransparent using Affinity. He said again that he thinks there's a problem with the image. I wonder if someone here could check it out by trying to remove the checkerboard on your Affinity photo program?? Please use the attached. 

Thank you! Gail 

[EDIT] File removed for copyright reasons [EDIT]

• Staff

Hi GailToo,
The checkerboard pattern on this file is actually composed by white and grey squares (objects). It's not the usual checkerboard pattern indicating transparency so to get rid of it you have to untick (hide) the last two groups in the Layers panel (which contains most of them) plus all the white squares in the first group (the one with the rose) - they are easy to spot since they appear sequentially after the stem layer group up to the end of the rose group. If you open the afdesign file i'm sending through PM you will see the stem group already selected in the Layers panel. If you scroll down the Layers panel a little you will see that all the objects/layers below the stem group and the two groups after the rose group were unticked. All these layers/groups are the squares that compose the checkered background.

I'm sending the Affinity file with all those elements unticked/hidden through PM (personal message) in a few moments.

Whew - that's a lot for a newbie like me, but I'll make a good try of it. I'm surprised a company as good as Shutterstock (at least I think they're good) would sell an image like this. 

You don't suppose there's something wrong with my laptop that would change the checkerboard pattern to objects when I download the image, do you? 

• Staff

Hi GailToo,
I was much more detailed in the reply i sent you trough PM. Please take a look at it. There's quite a few issues with EPS files: they don't support any type of transparency, neither the gradient meshes used extensively in that file. What happens is that Illustrator embeds proprietary/private AI data in the EPS files which is what it uses to load the files keeping all the features intact and editable (transparency, gradient meshes etc). That's why Shutterstock only accepts Illustrator compatible EPS files. All other programs (Affinity included) can only access the EPS data (features) that the original format supports. Thus the differences/issues we are dealing with.

Your laptop has nothing to do with those issues.

Aha - thanks for explaining that. Seems Shutterstock should let us know this before we buy. Illustrator is too expensive for the occasional user like me. Shutterstock suggested Gravit and some other programs, but even Gravit doesn't seem to make it at all easy to remove the checkerboard. Thanks for your detailed private message. I really appreciate the time you took with me on this. Best, Gail 

• 1 year later...

I'm having the exact same problem. I've downloaded PNG files from FReepik with subscription. they show checkerboard transparent background but I can't get rid of the background in Affinity Photo. I try to export without background etc... Would love "steps for dummies" on how to do this in AP?!!??

37.eps