You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

A sticker print shop asks for a layer with a certain PMS color to define the sticker cutout with a shape of that color.

Looking in the colortools I can't find PMS colors. Does anybody here know if it's possible in Designer to enter an (exact) PMS color?

Thanks in advance!

23 minutes ago, Mark Oehlschlager said:

In the Swatches panel, under the popup menu for swatch collections you will find Pantone libraries.

Choose a color from the Pantone+ Solid Coated-V2 library.

Thanks for your quick response @Mark Oehlschlager and @MikeW . The print webshop is asking for color PMS 806 (no mentioning of 'U' or 'C') in their specsheet. But I find more/different PMS 806's in Affinity's swatches; like for example a 'PANTONE 806 U' and a 'PANTONE 806 C'. They are not having the same LAB color-values. What 806 do you think the print-shop needs? And what do the U and C stand for  Alright I understand now U stands for Uncoated and C for coated... although not really sure what coated really stands for in materials? Is coated perhaps glossy paper? I always thought the nice thing with pantone was that they always (should) look the same?

You directly point me to Pantone+ Solid Coated-V2, so that's perhaps the library I need? How do you know that? I don't know anything about Pantone, but it seems like there are different libraries for different surfaces/materials. How do I know which library I need for a certain job? Is there an easy way to understand when to use which library for which product or is this Solid Coated-V2 pretty standard for print/press of stickers so you point me directly in that direction?

Also, in the sheet of the 'print' webshop there is a screenshot of illustrator's colorsliders in CMYK (on spot) pointing (for PMS 806) to 0% cyan, 85.05% magenta and 0% yellow (and 0% black). But when I chose 806 C from 'Pantone+ Solid Coated-V2' in Designer (in a CMYK document), and look at the CMYK values I see different values: 2% cyan, 84% magenta and 0% yellow (0% black)... 
(the document I created has type 'Print (press ready)', CMYK/8 and U.S. Web Coated (SWOP) v2. Not sure why my CMYK values are different than the Illustrator-values in the example in their sheet...

Thanks again!

From the pantone website:

What is the difference between coated (C) and uncoated (U)? 
PMS colors marked with a C mean that the color is printed on coated paper for a glossy finish, as you would see in a magazine. This is desirable for sharp and complex designs, as the ink stays on top of the paper, preventing bleeding. Likewise, a U indicates uncoated paper, which has a more porous finish, common on letterhead. Uncoated paper is generally more absorbent of ink than coated, reducing sharpness.

intel core i5,  16GB 128Gb ssd win10 Pro Huion new 1060plus.

philips 272p 2560x1440px on intel HD2500 onboard graphics

Razer Tartarus Chroma

8 minutes ago, dutchshader said:

From the pantone website:

What is the difference between coated (C) and uncoated (U)? 
PMS colors marked with a C mean that the color is printed on coated paper for a glossy finish, as you would see in a magazine. This is desirable for sharp and complex designs, as the ink stays on top of the paper, preventing bleeding. Likewise, a U indicates uncoated paper, which has a more porous finish, common on letterhead. Uncoated paper is generally more absorbent of ink than coated, reducing sharpness.

Thanks @dutchshader, great to know for sure now the C stands for Glossy finish. So I obviously need that one for regular (shiny) stickers.

Would be great if somebody knows the answer to the other questions about the color I have now... please see my previous post :) Would be greatly appreciated as I don't know much about press/print standards

It doesn't matter if this is really being printed with a spot color as long as you communicate with the print service.

The color values are really for on-screen representation. However, Serif uses cmyk and/or rgb values for the swatches. They should use lab as it provides the best translation should a client want to changes to using process colors and or the print conditions (i.e. a profile change) happens.

Your values in Serif applications are different for various reasons. One likely is the cmyk conditions, AI using lab but for this purpose (their screen shot) they changed to cmyk, they use a different document color profile, etc., etc.

@Friksel

As others have pointed out, U stands for uncoated, and C stands for coated. In point of fact, PMS 806 is a defined, unchanging ink formula. The appearance of the ink color will shift slightly depending upon whether it is applied to a coated sheet of paper or an uncoated sheet of paper. In the electronic swatch books included in applications like Designer and Illustrator, the only difference between 806 U and 806 C is in the way that the appearance of 806 is simulated on screen as it would appear on either a coated or uncoated sheet. It's for onscreen simulation. 

What's important for you to grasp is that any object to which you apply PMS 806 (U or C) will separate onto it's own plate (an 806 plate, separate from the traditional CMYK printing plates), and the print vendor will recognize the vector shape to which you've applied 806 as the intended die-cut shape, not part of the printed art.