You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Crash on startup - 1.7.3.481

• Staff

Thanks for the information David. Can you try running the app using the No Hardware Flag? You can do this by pressing the Windows Key + R on your keyboard to open the Run dialog and then type CMD and press Enter. This will launch Command Prompt. Presuming you have the app installed in the default location, type in cd "C:\Program Files\Affinity\Photo\" and press Enter. Now type Photo --no-hw-ui and press Enter - does the app now open correctly?

image.png

• Staff

Thanks for replying.

When the app loads and then disappears from screen, does the process continue to run? When the app next fails to load, can you go to %appdata%\Affinity\Photo\1.0\ and attach the log.txt file to your post. You could check out EventViewer to see if there is anything listed in the Applications Log relating to Affinity.

• Staff

Thanks for attaching your log file. Just to confirm, did you try resetting the app as suggested by Callum in his reply to Chicane00? I can see from the log file that you have a NVIDIA GeForce GT 630 GPU. We've had similar issues in the past where out of date GPU drivers were to blame. Can you download and install the drivers again from Nvidia and when prompted, select the Perform clean install option.

If that doesn't change anything. Can you try opening the app until it stays open and then go to Edit  > Preferences > Performance and let me know which options you have in the Renderer drop down menu.

Yes I did try resetting the App previously, but I did it again just to be sure, and it made no difference.

Installed the latest GPU driver from NVIDIA and again no difference.

Renderer options are GeForce (selected) and WARP.  I tried switching to WARP and again it still failed. Have now switched back to GeForce

• Staff

Thanks for replying and trying my suggestion. I'm sorry that you're still having this issue. Is it possible to send me your Application Logs from EventViewer? It might have some additional information related to your issue. Please follow the instructions provided on Microsoft's TechNet article: How to save a copy of the Event Viewer Application and System logs

• Staff

I'm back :)

Looking at your EventViewer Logs, it appears that a font is causing the issue:

Screenshot 2019-11-20 at 08.51.17.png

Have you installed any new fonts recently or just before installing the 1.7.3 update? Do you use a font manager? We're going to have to try and narrow down which font is causing the issue.

• Staff

I've download that font but i've been unable to replicate the issue. Is it possible to go to C:\Windows\Fonts and copy all of the fonts to a .zip file and upload it to our Dropbox account using the following link: https://www.dropbox.com/request/G1JDIhKfkCFi2RnN2a1T

Alternatively, you can try temporarily removing all non-system fonts and see if you get the same issue. We would like to find out which font is causing the issue.