You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

PDF/X-4 Export Error

Trying to export a file as PDF/X-4 and I get an error every time. The error occurs with any of the PDF/X formats. All assets are linked CMYK files. I am on Publisher version 1.7.3 but the problem existed on 1.7.2 also. System I am working on is an iMac 5K with 24GB of RAM running on MacOS 10.14.6. I have isolated the problem to a block of text the has bulleted text. The font is the same font that is used elsewhere in the document so I doubt it is a font issue. I deleted objects in the document one by one and tried to export until it was successful and then when the text block was replaced the error is repeatable.

Screen Shot 2019-10-02 at 10.19.37 AM.png

Updating this for others that may be experiencing trouble with PDF export on Mac:

I can export a PDF if:

1. I choose whichever PDF preset I want to be using
  2. Click "More"
  3. In the panel of options under under "Embed Fonts" use the pulldown to select "Text as Curves"
  4. Click "Close" (don't worry, your settings will hold)
  5. Click "Export"

My guess? There's something wonky in the way Publisher is handling Font Embedding and that wonkiness disappears once you get rid of fonts by making them outlines. 

Fonts used in my document are: Basic Sans Narrow, Basic Sans Narrow Alt, Mrs Eaves, Mrs Eaves Just Ligatures. Not too much text overall, maybe 800 words tops. It's an LP jacket design.

I think this workaround will be ok for print applications (I'll let you know once I run a press job with it). For other applications there may be some non-optimal repercussions (for example, the text in your PDF won't be readable by machines). Your mileage may vary.

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...