You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi Guys,

I’ve come to find out that the image I’m engraving onto leather has what I’ve realized is an open vector path thus resulting in this engraving line that’s not part of the original design. Specifically and only the line going through the spade. I’ve attached pictures. Can anyone help me fix this. Thank you.

04FA126A-A9B1-4C0C-A414-A4FB7ECFF734.png

4CD79976-4455-4015-B3D5-3B1B4DA1AE2F.jpeg

I have opened your vector file which looks fine. Exported as PDF which also looks perfect...

Lenovo laptop with Intel Core i7, 16 GB RAM, Windows 10 Home. Former user of most Serif software from PagePlus 3.0 through PagePlus X9, now enjoying Affinity Designer, Photo, and Publisher.

I doubt these overlapping/crossing lines are causing any troubles as you can adjust and overcome any issues by choosing the right fill

rule.

Neither AD nor Inkscape show any problems in outline view.

Maybe scale the whole graphic laser engrave again and check if the issue persists at the same spot. Hopefully it´s not a hardware problem.

Cheers

Needs quite a bit of work to tidy this up, it looks like a vectorised image to me with malformed nodes, crossed paths etc

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

8 hours ago, PixelPest said:

Never experienced crossed paths in an auto-vectorizer like Potracer BTW.

This can't be by design though, can it, I doubt you'd get a vector artist making all these mistakes and minute glitches, this has to be the result of automation somewhere along the line.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

21 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

I doubt you'd get a vector artist making all these mistakes and minute glitches

Sure - maybe it the original design was multicoloured...

However I can´t determine this horizontal line showing up in the engraved example in the vector file.

9 minutes ago, PixelPest said:

However I can´t determine this horizontal line showing up in the engraved example in the vector file.

Me neither, there are no "hidden lines" I divided the artwork and nothing popped up as out of whack, I would have expected an off canvas node to produce a narrowing line not a textured  fairly even "scratch" if there was something like this it would show.

2126807153_ScreenShot2019-10-03at08_19_42.png.9c57f402e8846d67a0f1536370f14c88.png

I suppose the next question would be, what engraving software and hardware is being used and what are the results of the vector on import into that software?