You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hello, I am brand new to Affinity and love it. However, I’m am driving myself crazy trying to figure out how to do something that is probably very simple. How do I curve text similar to the way it is in the attached image? What I am trying to do is simply create a T-shirt design, all text, no images, and I just want to curve the text. Thank you in advance for any help.

2F3BCD66-7CE5-418D-B142-C83F4A0B57CA.png

Right. I watched that video earlier. That process, as far as I can tell, which unfortunately is not very far at all, pertains to adding curved text to a shape you already have, whereas I just want to curve the text by itself. I am sure the vid somehow relates to this, but I cannot figure it out. So, if you or anybody else could walk me through the process step by step, that would help. Assume when explaining things to me that you are talking to someone who knows close to nothing about Affinity. Thanks.

41 minutes ago, writesync said:

Right. I watched that video earlier. That process, as far as I can tell, which unfortunately is not very far at all, pertains to adding curved text to a shape you already have, whereas I just want to curve the text by itself. I am sure the vid somehow relates to this, but I cannot figure it out. So, if you or anybody else could walk me through the process step by step, that would help. Assume when explaining things to me that you are talking to someone who knows close to nothing about Affinity. Thanks.

You just have to add a curve to shape the text-curve. You don't need to have the curve itself having a border nor a fill. This way you can do exactly what you're after.

5 minutes ago, writesync said:

Okay, so how do you add a curve?

Pick a circle from the toolbox and draw it on the 'canvas'. After that you can select the text tool, put the textcursor on the circle-shape and start typing. From there on you can use the things you watched in the text-on-spline, or whatever name the tutorialvideo has, again.

I'd suggest you to follow the more basic tutorials too/first, as drawing a shape or curve is pretty basic stuff you need to know first in order to learn a vector tool like Designer. Affinity has some great tutorials in their video-section, but you probably already seen them: https://affinity.serif.com/en-gb/tutorials/designer/desktop/

Hope this helps

Alright, sorry, I thought you were working on the Designer desktop application. I don't know anything about the iPad tool. Good luck :)

• 1 year later...

I understand the process but, for the life of me, I can’t get the selection correct on iPad. No matter where I select, artistic text is created separate from the ellipse. 

I’ve done short presses, long presses, used my finger, used the Apple Pencil and still no success. I wish there were a simple text option to select text in a path. 

Edited by markinca
Added video

15 minutes ago, markinca said:

I wish there were a simple text option to select text in a path.

I wish there were, too. Either that, or a ‘Fit Text to Curve’ command that creates text on a path when the command is invoked with a Text layer and a Curve layer selected.

Your video shows a popup menu appearing in response to most of your presses, which indicates that they’re being interpreted as long presses. Try tapping very, very briefly and see if you fare any better.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

8 minutes ago, Alfred said:

Your video shows a popup menu appearing in response to most of your presses, which indicates that they’re being interpreted as long presses. Try tapping very, very briefly and see if you fare any better.

Hi Alfred,

The last few attempts were done with the Apple Pencil using quick taps. I resorted to long presses because previous short taps with a finger or pencil weren’t working. 

Edited by markinca

4 hours ago, markinca said:

The last few attempts were done with the Apple Pencil using quick taps. I resorted to long presses because previous short taps with a finger or pencil weren’t working. 

Try zooming in. You need to tap right on the line to get it to work. Zoomed in, you can see it work consistently. Also make sure font is large enough to see.

Note: if you have touch for gestures turned on it won’t work with finger taps, only pencil.

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

On 12/20/2020 at 6:39 PM, markinca said:

Hi Alfred,

You are using Affinity Photo, Text On Curve officially only works on Affinity Designer. However the functionality has now been added to the V1.9 Beta of Affinity Photo on iPad.

Unofficially you can use TextOnCurve macro in Affinity Photo V1.8, search these groups for my Mud’s Macros.afmacros, install it and you will find the macro to give you that functionality.

Since you are using AP you also have the advantage to use the mesh warp filter as an alternative.

FC3FDB80-C19B-4A3A-B12F-CDBE2C9AB204.jpeg

My dad always told me, a bad workman always blames their tools….

Just waiting for Ronny Pickering…..

Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on macOS Sonoma 14 on M1 Mac Mini 16GB 1TB
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on Windows 10 Pro. Deceased
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 2.4 on M1 iPad Pro 11” on iPadOS 17.4 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityForiPad

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityPhoto/

The hardest link to find https://affinity.help