You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Use program at work and home?

:D I love this software, Had no problem downloading it or the brushes. Have show it to some folks at work and they are quite impressed too.

I do have a question, I have not tried any support yet ... I purchased the program for work, But would like to use it at home too ... Is that possible to run it on both computers

or will I have to buy another ... Thanks in advance if anyone knows. Peace! :)

Hi Mr.Bill,

Providing you are the sole user of the software, you can install this on your work computer and home computer. Please see section 3, sub-section 1 of the license agreement below:

(i) if you are a private individual, to download, install, use and run for personal use, one (1) copy of the Serif Software directly on each computer running Microsoft Windows (“Windows Computer”) that you personally own or control. Commercial use is permitted but only use by you and not by any other users of any Windows Computers that you own or control. For example, other members of your household that use your Windows Computers may make personal use of the Serif Software whereas, if anyone other than yourself needs to make commercial use of the Serif Software, the other user will need to make a separate purchase.

As long as the section above is adhered to, you are authorised to use this as you suggest.

Thanks,

Adam

Does this also apply to the reverse?

As in: I bought a license for my personal use, and I would like to use it to make some illustrations at the office. I am not sure whether "that you own or control" applies to the computer my company provides me.

46 minutes ago, spectras said:

As in: I bought a license for my personal use, and I would like to use it to make some illustrations at the office. I am not sure whether "that you own or control" applies to the computer my company provides me.

That's always seemed like a gray area, to me.

Clearly you don't own the work computer. But if the company has given you Administrator authority for the computer then, arguably, you do "control" it. I'll be interested in seeing an official answer :)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

11 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

That's always seemed like a gray area, to me.

Clearly you don't own the work computer. But if the company has given you Administrator authority for the computer then, arguably, you do "control" it. I'll be interested in seeing an official answer :)

Your take on this is much the same as mine used to be, Walt, but previous discussion of the issue seemed to come down in favour of the argument that a work computer is ultimately controlled by the employer who owns or leases it.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/4/2019 at 11:17 AM, spectras said:

It would be great to get an official word on this.

Lots of forum searching has only left me with "it's a gray area" as the user consensus, with lots of I-am-not-a-lawyer debate over the meaning of the word "control."

If I could have my wish, it would be for an official FAQs list like this one from the makers of the text editor Sublime Text, which is a software program with what sounds like a similar per user license scheme, but in their case they clearly lay out all the different common usage scenarios and say what is and is not allowed. E.g., a personal license is yours; use it anywhere, even at work, so long as it's solely you using the software. A business license belongs to the business; one user per license, on work computers only, please.

I would appreciate having something that clear, written in plain English, for Affinity software.