You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi Affnity, Hi Forumers!

I (ab)use Affinity Photo to edit my astrophoto, I find Affinity Photo a great piece of software!
However I'm facing a problem that I can't solve: the tiff files out of AP don't work in any star stacking software.
I tested Sequator, Starry landscaper, Deep sky star stacker, Iris and Siril.
All report the message "unable to read files". Strange, because with jpgs everything flows.

I wrote some line to the developers and that is the answer I had:

"TIFF is not fully standardized. Although they are called TIFF, some formats or fields may be incompatible. Sequator uses the most popular TIFF library, but there may be still some proprietary fields the library can not recognize."

Any hint, idea, suggestion you could provide?

Thanks a lot for your help!

G:

• Staff

Hi Gianni,

Welcome to the forums :)

Unfortunately Sequator won't download properly for me so I can't try this at my end but if you rename the file from .tiff to .tif does it work?

Thanks

C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

Hi Callum!
It was the first thing that I've done, but nope, no results.
I've also downloaded XNConvert to resave the tiff files. No results.
Resave them in GIMP too… same as above.
Resaving in Photoshop resolve everything, but in that way it doesn't have sense, do you agree?
(Beware, Sequator works on WIN, for Mac there is Starry Landscaper)
Thanks for your time and help!

G:

The manual for Sequator says: “RAW file is recommended. If you use TIFF instead, do not alter the linearity of data. Any processing except vignetting correction should be avoided. Sequator accepts uncompressed 16-bit TIFF.”.
However, the default TIFF export options in Photo are for 8-bit and “ZIP” compression (press the More button in the export window to see more options). Have you tried setting these to 16-bit and a compression of “None” instead?

Or you could always try the RAW files if you have them.

Hi GarryP!
Sure I've tested those settings… and it doesn't work.
But the problem I see it isn't only in Sequator, but in also in the other software similar to Sequator.

Creating Tiffs from Adobe software, everything works well. For that reason I cannot understand why,

(using raw file in Sequator doesn't work quite good, personally the best results achieved was with 16bit tiffs, due to a noise reduction that AP perform far far better than ACR et simila)

Thanks for you help and time, I appreciate!

G:

You’re welcome, it’s just a shame that what I wrote doesn’t help you. I was hoping it would be a simple fix.
Have you tried using a different Resampling method on the export (maybe “Nearest Neighbour”)? I only ask as I saw that the manual says “do not alter the linearity of data” but I have no idea what that means in this context as I don’t do astro-photography.
It sounds like Photoshop is doing something that Photo isn’t (or the other way round) so if you could attach a snapshot of both your Photoshop export TIFF settings and your Photo export TIFF settings then someone might be able to pinpoint any relevant difference(s).

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

I found that as stated above it must be an uncompressed file that you export from affinity so you must use the advanced option when exporting a tif. Set it to 16bit and be sure that none is specified under compression (v2.0.4). Also be sure the extension is .tif not .tiff. If you don't export as uncompressed it will look like starnet++ is processing fine, but it will create an all black image. I ran the test file included with the download to prove to myself that Starnet++ was working.

Edited by Andy D