You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

No transparancy export to png on ipad

I think I know what’s the problem. The iPad doesn’t recognize png’s anymore. When I open the png in the Affinity-app, the backround is transparant. In all the other apps, who used to recognize png’s with transparant backgrounds (such as Photo’s and Werble) the transparant background is gone and replaced by a white background.....

• Staff

Hi Ingrid,

I've just tried this myself and it is definitely exporting with a transparent background. I also opened it from Werble (after saving it into Photos) and that shows up with a black area where the transparency is and effects can be placed behind the PNG and showing in the transparent area. I can also open the same file in Affinity and that opens with transparency as well.

Are you ensuring your document contains transparent areas which appear as a grey/white checkerboard pattern and they're then exported using the 'PNG' (not the 'PNG-8') preset.

That’s strange Jean, beacause I’ve tried it again. Also on another iPad, but still no transparant background :-(

I also tried a new file, but the problem occured there as wel. When I try it in Affinity Photo (iPad), also no transparant background in the png export.

The image is made with a transparant background (see screenshot) and exported to png (see screenshot).

I really don’t have a clue what goes wrong,......

46ED54CA-83E4-493E-8CD6-19EFEE7AA7BB.png

95FE8672-6B26-40BA-8FBE-088A53EA4C36.png

• Staff

Hi Ingrid,

I don't believe this is a fault with our export, and is more specifically an issue with Werble. I tried a large document (2732x2048px) and that was fine, I then tried a document the same size as your one and it wasn't.

I then found the following tweet from Werble explaining that transparency fails when using small images and they're investigating it, so I would get in contact with them - In the meantime you can export at a larger resolution and you should be ok!