You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Publisher text flow bizarre behaviour - bug?

I have seen this a couple of times before, but it just happened again and since there was no resolution when it was mentioned previously in the forums, I am bringing it up again.

There is a nice little video accompanying the first report, so I won't duplicate it here. Basically, what's happening is that text that is flowed from one text box to the next is changing size - radically. Mine goes from 12pt down to 2.9pt!

Unlike the original poster in the previous thread, I AM able to select the teeny-tiny text in the second box and apply my body style to it, but it shouldn't have changed size when flowed from one text box to the next in the first place. This is text I'm copying into a document to replace some other text. I'm pasting with no format - and making sure that the body text style is selected. 

This may be hard to duplicate, as I just tried it again on the next text area in the document and didn't see the oddball behaviour. I'm not sure what triggers it. As it does appear that I can fix it, it's not the end of the world - but it sure is weird.

Except...the text box wasn't touched. It wasn't resized. It was already linked and it doesn't matter whether I remove ALL the text from the boxes or not - as soon as it flows into the second box it turns into 2.9 pt text.

Just for laughs, I tried removing the second text box entirely. Pasted in the text, clicked on the triangle to flow it to a new text box and you guessed it. It did it again. :( And if I try to apply the style to the teeny tiny text I have to remove the Body+ style by changing it to "no style" and then when I apply the Body style it goes back to putting the flowed text in tiny text. At the moment, I cannot get this particular bit of text to behave AT ALL. Not sure what I'm going to do - will try removing these text boxes entirely.

3 minutes ago, PaddyD said:

will try removing these text boxes entirely.

Most probably the quickest solution. :-)

2017 27” iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 • Radeon Pr 580 8GB • 64GB • Ventura 13.6.4.

iPad Pro (10.5-inch) • 256GB • Version 16.4

Removing the text boxes entirely and replacing them seems to have worked. Still - odd that this happens. At one point when I deleted some, but not all of the text in the first text box, the text from the SECOND text box started flowing back into it (as you would expect) - but it was 50 PT! I've seen that before too - so there is definitely a bug of some sort lurking in the shadows, but it's hard to duplicate it. It's quite bizarre - I certainly haven't dragged any of the text boxes by that other handle either, nor have I ever used 2.9 or 50 pt text in this document.

Tis a mystery...

• 4 weeks later...

I keep having this happen too, although I think I have just found a pattern to it.

It only seems to happen when I'm working from an original pdf file (usually designs exported from InDesign) where if I try to flow text to a new frame from a text frame that was already in the document when I opened it, it makes everything 1.9pt in the new frame. I don't get the same issue when using the solution above (copying all the text, deleting existing text frames and then pasting text content in to a brand new text frame) or in a completely new afpub document - so I would guess this is something exclusive to pdf files and that's why it's hard to replicate? Anyone else?

I haven't been using PDFs from InDesign as a starting point; this was simply (say) last month's newsletter being turned into this month's newsletter...the starting point was an existing document saved as a new one, but it didn't start with a PDF from InDesign. About to produce a couple more newsletters, so we'll see if it happens again. ;)

• 1 year later...

Well, I'm two years late to the coversation, but Publisher 1.10.1 is exhibiting this weird behavior for me. When I flow text to a new frame, I, too, get 2.9 pt text in the new frame. This is my first project, and I am working with an import from InDesign that is 180 pages long. No matter what flows to the new frame, it drops to 2.9 pt. I usually catch it, but sometimes a line slips through. I also have gotten the flow back issue with 50 pt font.

When I highlight and resize the text to 12 pt, none of the text styles appear to be correct, so I then have to click a different style and click back on the original style to get things corrected.

This certainly seems like a bug to me. Two years after the original post, and it is still happening. What can I do to stop whatever is happening?

You most likely used the lower right resize handle. Watch the video in the second response. You should delete the frame and make a new one one.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

23 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

You most likely used the lower right resize handle. Watch the video in the second response. You should delete the frame and make a new one one.

@Mr Meal Magic mentioned the file came from InDesign, and I think there's an acknowledged bug in Publisher's IDML import that can sometimes cause this, too.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1