You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Force snapping to locked layers

Please enable the ability to force a locked layer to become a snapping candidate. Often times I lock layers so I don't accidentally edit them, but periodically I still want to snap other objects to them.

A suggestion would be to hover over a locked layer while holding Alt (to ignore the fact that it's locked) to add that layer to the snapping candidates.

• Staff

Hi Tristan Biesecker,

This is already possible. Please check that you have Snap to object bounding boxes (and optionally Include bounding box mid points) enabled in the menu View ▹ Snapping Manager...

Also enable Show snapping candidates so you can see which objects are being currently considered as snapping candidates (those are the objects you can align your objects to. You can identify them by a purple outline). If the object you want to align to isn't considered a snapping candidate, mouse-over it for a few seconds while still dragging your object until a purple outline appears. From that moment you can align it with that object too.

Hi Tristan Biesecker,

This is already possible. Please check that you have Snap to object bounding boxes (and optionally Include bounding box mid points) enabled in the menu View ▹ Snapping Manager...

Also enable Show snapping candidates so you can see which objects are being currently considered as snapping candidates (those are the objects you can align your objects to. You can identify them by a purple outline). If the object you want to align to isn't considered a snapping candidate, mouse-over it for a few seconds while still dragging your object until a purple outline appears. From that moment you can align it with that object too.

Hi MEB, I think there's a misunderstanding. I mean that I would like to be able to snap to a locked object (that isn't already a snapping candidate) without unlocking that object first, by holding down Alt+hovering over the object to force it to become a snapping candidate. Currently, when I have a non-snapping-candiate object that is locked, I have to unlock it first before the standard procedure of hovering over it with the mouse adds it to the snapping candidates list. Unless there is something that I am missing? FYI, I have everything checked in the snapping manager (I like snapping ok).

• 4 years later...

I have many objects that I need to create art-boards from but I'm unable to create an art-board because the object bounding box re-size handle overrides the art-board tool. Locking the object layer is the only way to do this. My problem is that I have multiple objects, so unlocking and then locking each one in turn very time consuming and unnecessary. Any news on a better solution would be appreciated.

• Staff

Hi robskinn,
With the object selected, go to menu Layer > Convert Object to Artboard. You can assign a shortcut to this command to speed up the process in Affinity Preferences, Keyboard Shortcuts section, set the first dropdown to Designer and the second to Layer (the command is almost on the bottom of the list - in the same order as they appear on the menus). If you want to retain the original object, duplicate it (or all of them at once) before converting it (them) to an artboard.

• 2 years later...