You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo 1.7.3. Update Destroyed my Version 1.6.5.

Hi, I just went to update my Affinity photo version 1.6.5 to the latest update of 1.7.3 and the download failed and it also destroyed my program (version 1.6.5.) off my computer. I tried to reinstall the 1.6.5. exe. file but it keeps failing to install and I cannot delete the Affinity folder from my C: Program Files directory either. Why can’t I delete this directory folder, if it is corrupted or empty then I don’t want it on my computer?

cheers.

Ah yes, sorry for the confusion.

Let me clarify, the download did not fail, the installation of the successfully downloaded 1.7.3. update failed right at the very end of the install. My previous version of 1.6.5. is now erased, and when I try and reinstall my 1.6.5. exe file the same thing happens - it gets almost to the end of the install and then simply fails. 

Also the C:/Program Files Affinity folder says 0 bytes for the folder size. And every time I try and delete the redundant folder I am denied this by Windows 8.1 telling me I need administrator permissions. Then when I go through the Affinity folders Properties to the Security tab I am still not able to delete the folder after changing the permissions via the Advanced Settings. When I change the permissions to Administrator it fails and when I change it to All Applications Packages it also failed.

PROGRESS UPDATE: VERY IMPORTANT - as I was typing the above I thought to give it one more try, this time I changed the Security access permissions to Computer Name (whatever name you have given your computer)/Users and this gave me full editorial control over the C:/Program Files Affinity folder, and finally I was able to delete it.

And as soon as I had deleted the empty 0 byte size Affinity folder (in C:/Program Files) I tried to reinstall the 1.7.3. exe file and it actually successfully installed! Hallelujah!

This means that it is very important to delete the program files folder (C:/Program Files Affinity) even though the folder may be empty, it will cause a conflict every time you try and install the program again. So you must remove every trace of the Affinity program from your hard drive and start with a clean install otherwise you will get a conflict and the install will fail. I also deleted the Affinity Photo shortcut on the desktop as well. 

I hope this helps others.

But there is still one more issue though, and that is that as soon as I had installed the 1.7.3. update it installed the 1.7.2.471 version instead, and then when I opened up the program it prompted me to install the latest update of 1.7.3. at the Affinity Photo Updates page. But it was the top download link of "Download Version 1.7.3." 381.55 MB, EXE that I downloaded yesterday, but it comes up as 1.7.2.471 on my computer?

Hmmmm, very strange.

Anyways I'll leave it where it is at the moment, because it least it has installed, finally (don't want to mess it up trying to update it already).

Hope this makes sense.

Cheers.