You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

A random "glyph" problem?

Win 10/64bit newest update -  afpub V 1.7.3.475 beta

I copied a file, where language is German ( in the master text style) and changes it to english (in this case, font: roboto).

All "ff" now turned to an "unknown" figure

Please refer to the pic - 3th line at "Effekte" (above: original, below: language changed).

Its somehow a little bit of  random behavior. If I change the language to english (american english)  in the character panel, the correct "ff" appears.
Additionally, one can switch back to "german" it may or may not return to "ff".
And it seems not to happen on every font.

Attached is a demo afpub-file which demonstrates this behavior (you can changes master text style or sub styles as well).

roboto.jpg.ee3b6c7d22afeec867006cabf3f47e9f.jpg

Font test.afpub

Hi,

no, it doesn't happen on Arial.
Anyhow I have been playing around and it seems not a language problem itself.
I can start with english and switch to german, and the same failure happens.

I can switch to Arial (or others) - its ok - and switch back to Roboto, and it's ok (within english language) !
Next I switch back to German and it's again not ok ... !
No consistancy ..

Once its wrong (adjusting in text styles only) you can change language etc. in the character panel, the failure remains.
Looks like its a matter within text style panel modifications.

What Roboto version do you have? I'm using Version 2,137 ...

Roboto 2.137 is still the actual version by google

I checked it again, additionally with Indesgn, which tells me, that a glyph is missing.

Its maybe possible (i cant remeber) that i got the text from another source (pages or an older word version) and used it by copy & paste.
So the original text version (maybe) was using another glyph-type, which is not included in roboto ...

Anyhow it's still  a mistery to me, why the "ff" appears and disappears by switching language in the text style panel ...

I think the odd way this font is constructed is confusing APub.
The ff ligature is one of those few ligatures which have an actual Unicode code point (FB00).
Fonts will usually use these standard code points as applications like LibreOffice will auto-correct the two consecutive f characters to this Unicode ligature.

But in Roboto-Regular.ttf (v2.137, 2017) this glyph (#437) has no Unicode code point assigned.
The glyph does not appear in the OpenType standard ligatures (as it usually would).
The glyph is only accessible as an OpenType discretionary ligature (named f_f).
I am not sure how it is even appearing if you have not enabled discretionary ligatures.

This appears to be another example of Google Fonts weirdness.