You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

High Pass Sharpening Issue

Hi all,

Just installed Afinity Photo and it looks to be really cool.

I am actually basically looking for a Capture NX2 replacement and not so much a photoshop replacement but happy so far.

I have however noticed that when I run High Pass Sharpening, it never leaves the "High Pass" greyed look after I click apply.

Is this a bug or am I missing something? 

• Staff

When you work with the High Pass Filter you would normally open your image, duplicate it and apply the High Pass Filter to the duplicated layer. Once applied, you would change the Blend mode to Soft light etc...

Try this:

1. Open Image
  2. Duplicate Background Layer - Layer > Duplicate
  3. Select Duplicated Layer
  4. Change Blend Mode from Normal to Overlay or Soft Light
  5. Go to Filters > Sharpen > High Pass....
  6. Change Radius and click Apply

Okay, my last post for 24hrs as I have hit the 5 Post limit.

Not coming from a photoshop background so maybe misusing it.

In NX2, you selected High Pass and it just worked without any other steps.

Do recollect dimly from using PS around 2005 that one did need to carry out some complex steps to use High Pass sharpening. 

Just seeing your post about NX2. Yes it did apply directly but was flexible enough for me. 

Anyway, will try to reacquaint myself with the more involved method. 

Thanks

Best of all: Live filters work on groups! Take a bunch of layers, group them and livefilter the group without ever needing to merge anything or bake any effects; and you can reorder and tweak the fx at any time. It is so much more powerful than Photoshop!

Try this instead of duplicating:

* Select the layer

* Add new Live Filter (hourglass-icon at the bottom of the layers panel) > High Pass Filter

* In the bottom right of the open window, set the Blend Mode to Soft Light or Overlay

* Now just adjust the Radius

Thank you for this post. This process is much easier and faster than using multiple layers. I have been using APB since the first release of the beta but I have not really tried using Live Filters as I did not see the benefit. Now I do.

Thank you again.

@MikeFromMesa: Happy to have helped a fellow AP user! I was honestly blown away when I discovered this feature. My Photoshop workflow was always slow and convoluted due to its limitations: "Take 5/whatever layers, duplicate them, merge the duplicates to 1 layer, hide the 5 originals, apply static effects to the merged layer" - and I could never edit the applied effects since they were all static, and if I wanted to tweak individual layers I had to delete the merged layer, unhide all the originals, do the edits and then repeat the whole FX process.

Now with Affinity Photo I just use Live FX on the group of layers, and I can even change the blend mode and opacity of the effect (avoids having to duplicate layers for FX too). It's already revolutionized the way I work. The documents I make now only consists of *actual valuable layers* and not hundreds of hidden "step by step" layers.

Launch day is tomorrow and I'm ecstatic, knowing that's it a total Photoshop replacement and that it will just keep getting better and better! :-D Serif are my heroes.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.