You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi,

I'm not sure if I'm geting things wrong or there is a bug in Affinity software, but I see some weird behaviour with cliping objects in layers panel. See my video please: I have two squares, both the same colour and 50% opacity. Square 1 has 50%  through Layers panel, Square 2 through Color panel. When I aply 100% white circle  shapes inside them to clip them both, squares have different final colour. The Square 1 has in fact 25% opacity. Square 2 keeps correct colour. Is this behaviour normal? There is no blending option applied on any shapes at all. Things are weird even if I export my graphic to PDF. In PDF the final opacity of Square 1 is as I would excpect – 50%. Thank you for explaning.

Affinity Suite 2.3.1 | iMac 5K (2017) 24GB, macOS Monterey 12.6.9

where the layer opacity is set to 50% it affects the opacity of the white circle, where the color opacity is set to 50% it only affects the red square.

intel core i5,  16GB 128Gb ssd win10 Pro Huion new 1060plus.

philips 272p 2560x1440px on intel HD2500 onboard graphics

Razer Tartarus Chroma

I haven't noticed that before but it makes sense now you've pointed that out - thanks dutchshader.

If you want to get 50% layer opacity you can do it on the circular mask layer that is inside instead - or you can use colour as done in the video, although I prefer the opacity done with the layer settings as I find it easier to interrogate later on.

Thanks gusy for expnaining!

Now it makes sanse. The principle is clear. But wouldn't be better if the opacity is not affecting the mask object? Setting the opacity to cliping object is also good technique, but in my opinion the overal layer opacity shouldn't be counting to the opacity of clip. obj.

Affinity Suite 2.3.1 | iMac 5K (2017) 24GB, macOS Monterey 12.6.9