You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Painted by hand in Affinity Photo

DavidMac

So far I have done a few photo corrections and basic extract, cut and paste in AFP and was sufficiently impressed to decide to invest some time and effort into trying to learn AFP to a usable standard.

This is my first attempt to produce an image entirely in AFP. I can't pretend it wasn't very frustrating at times. One of AFP's most amazing features, the way it stacks and nests layers, masks, adjustments, is very powerful and subtle, but it's also the most difficult to get your head around. You have to forget anything you learned elsewhere and learn a quite different approach and philosophy.  :unsure:

This simple image contains no photographic elements at all. It is 'painted' entirely in AFP using pen, brush, Layer FX, and some noise. That's it. Just the very basics. Given that my next best passion after photo manipulation and creation is my kitchen and cooking, I thought a foodie subject would be appropriate. I broke an egg into a non stick pan put it beside my monitor and created the image from life just as one would a traditional still life painting. This is very unusual for me as I normally work photographically, but it seemed a good way to get to grips with some of the tools.

Can't pretend to be entirely happy but no one should be ashamed of first attempts, that's how we learn ............ and I learned a LOT by doing this.  :)

I shall definitely be persevering further.

David Mac

post-9119-0-85499000-1435675727_thumb.jpg

jaw-dropping attention to detail! You bring new meaning to the phrase"I see the light"

jaw-dropping attention to detail! You bring new meaning to the phrase"I see the light"

Thanks for that. I am a movie cameraman. I've spent almost fifty years lighting sets. Light is my friend and companion ...... after so long it comes from instinct as much as intellect.  :)

• 2 weeks later...