You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Animator

While I do believe you guys have done a great job targeting Adobe's range of creative software, I think you've failed to disrupt the most vulnerable field, animation. Adobe's After Effects is a disjointed mess of a program with no real focus, that instead is used as a blanket to cover whatever feature Adobe can't find a place for. Therefore I see a lot of potential for Serif as a company to expand on their product lineup and introduce a new type of animation software without the questionable focus on visual effects that after effects has as well. Throughout the industry their are multiple other visual effects software options however their are few if any other alternatives for those looking to get into animation.

Few other alternatives for animation without a focus on visual effects?

• ToonBoom Harmony (essentials, Advanced, Premium)
  • OpenToonz / Toonz
  • Moho (Pro)
  • TV Paint
  • CelAction 2D
  • Blender 2.8 + new 2d animation mode
  • Other 3d apps (Max, Maya, Houdini, ...)
  • Animate CC

And many other options depending on your needs (Krita, ClipStudio Paint EX, ...)

If anything this market is quite saturated with powerful options, both commercial and free.

Unless I misunderstand you?

• 2 weeks later...

Perhaps, but they have emphasized on multiple threads around the forum (this must be the zillionth one requesting something like this) that they are not prepared to do so right now.  Regardless of marketability I would not expect in the foreseeable future.

• 4 weeks later...

I also think this is really needed in the suite, because I think Vector's animation is the next logical step and very demanded as I see. Currently the workflow is horrible if you want to animate a Vector from Affinity Designer.

But before a standalone app with rich features, I think a basic timeline feature is needed in Affinity designer/photo.

Get Synfig for that, is free and good. Accepts donations to help development.

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 and V2.4 Windows 10 and Windows 11. 
Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.