You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Drag screen stops working after tablet use

webb

I am using Windows Affinity Photo 1.7.1.404 on Windows 10 Pro (1903) on a Dell workstation with 32 GB ECC RAM, a 500 GB SSD, and lots of hard disk space. My graphics tablet is a Wacom Intuos PT M.  I updated the driver an hour ago to 6.3.36-1 in an attempt to fix the problem, but no joy.

I normally develop my raw files in darktable and export as tiff. When editing the resulting tiff in AP, everything is fine until I use my graphics tablet. Then, maybe after I've used it two or three times on the photo, the drag screen function stops working.  When I press the space bar, the hand appears but it doesn't do anything.  When I select the hand from the tool panel, the hand appears but it doesn't do anything.

The problem has been there a while, but at one point I made it happen a lot less frequently by updating the Wacom driver. My luck seems to have run out, though--the problem appears with both the previous driver and the new one. I cannot test it on AP 1.7.2 because I rely heavily on group masking and that function is broken in 1.7.2, rendering it useless to me.

I'd really, really like to get the drag screen functionality back consistently. 

• Staff

Hi @webb,

This is a known issue. 

If you're using a Wacom Tablet and change focus (using Alt+Tab) to a different application and then click in the Designer UI (not the document area) to return the focus, the tablet will start to draw straight lines from start to end point, and the move tool will stop working.

If you Alt+Tab and click in the document area to return the focus it will function correctly.

Thanks,

Gabe. 

I don't use gestures on the tablet, so I turned the switch that enables them to OFF. So far, the problem seems to have gone away. So, there's a good chance that the problem is related to some interaction between AP and gesture recognition.

• 1 month later...

У меня проблемы с инструментом рука (Н), отказывается работать с какого то момента. Это невыносимо, не возможно работать. После перезагрузки все востанавливается. (RU)

I have problems with the instrument hand (H), refuses to work from some point. It is unbearable, not possible to work. After the reboot, everything is restored.

• 1 month later...
  • Staff

We have made fixes/improvements to this area (Wacom Tablet starts drawing straight line after changing focus) of the program in the latest Windows customer beta of Affinity Photo and/or Affinity Designer. If you would like to try these changes the beta software is available in the forum posts listed below. However, you will need to enable Windows INK inside the Wacom Mapping tab. 

The 1.8.0.526 beta builds are in links at the top of these beta forum posts.

Once these programs have been through a full beta process the change will be released in a future free 1.8.0 update/patch to all customers.