You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Opacity settings for brushes confusion

I love Affinity Photo for editing photos, 3D renders and also be able to do some digital drawings. Recently, I have really noticed that I could really use an opacity slider in the Dynamics tab for brushes.

It is now usually a standard for Image editing softwares and digital drawing software to have pressure sensitivity levels on opacity for brushes and I would think this one thing could make the software a lot better for photo editing and also make painting on Affinity photo very viable. It would also be nice if the normal Opacity slider was also in the general tab as well.

These are just some quick screenshots that I took of the brush settings and just edited it to show what it could look like. I really hope "Accumulation" will be renamed to Opacity or the Opacity slider getting renamed to "Accumulation" .

EDIT: I noticed Accumulation does do similar or the same thing to Opacity but whenever I would change the Accumulation in the brush editing, it would not effect the "Opacity slider" in the context tool bar making me very confused.

I also think it would really really nice if there was "global pressure sensitivity settings" in maybe like the preferences and it would be just like a pressure sensitivity curve that can be set.

request.png

request2.png

Edited by MintyMan
I made a mistake thinking there was no dynamic opacity setting for brushes

1 hour ago, DWright said:

Can you please let me know the version of Affinity Photo that you are running as the current version no longer has the Opacity option under the General or Dynamics tabs as shown below

Those were the OP's mockups of a proposal for a feature request.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

21 hours ago, DWright said:

Can you please let me know the version of Affinity Photo that you are running as the current version no longer has the Opacity option under the General or Dynamics tabs as shown below

brush settings.png

Sorry, this is what confused me a lot. I should of taken a screenshot of this

Screenshot_1588.png

It is confusing. Every other piece of photo software and art software calls it "Opacity". So, why be different here? When I first started to adjust brushes or attempt to make my own, I was scratching my head trying to figure out how to adjust "opacity" or to control it via pressure. I thought it would be simple, and just dove in, but could not find opacity under Dynamics. What makes this more confusing is there is an opacity slider on the top toolbar of the main interface. So, you expect to find "opacity" in the brush settings, too (especially under the Dynamics section).