You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

PSD export produces a file that cannot be read by other apps (Fusion Studio in this case)

BarkinMadd

I realize that so much can go wrong with a PSD export from Affinity. I'm on a Windows platform and I've brough in a layered PSD into Affinity and saved it back out with the 'preferred editable' setting. The original PSD is RGBA/8 Adobe RGB (1998). I can load this file into Fusion Studio (with its PSD Import function) without any problems.

If I export this PSD document out of Affinity as a PSD I can open it again in Affinity and it seems to be the same (RGBA/8 Adobe RGB(1998)) but its file size is much smaller and Fusion Studio sees only black layers when it tries to open the PSD created by Affinity Photo. My thought is that there is something wrong with the way Affinity Photo creates PSD files but I really can't figure out what could be wrong (and I no longer have Photoshop to test with).

Anyone have any suggestions? The original PSD opens just fine in Fusion Studio.

Yes. Out of curiosity, when you say you created one and it's fine, where did you use it? How do you know that it's fine?

The reason I posted this as a bug is because Fusion Studio imports 'real' PSDs made with Photoshop and they work fine. If I open these same photoshop documents in Affinity and then export them as PSD, Fusion cannot see them correctly (the images are black).

Attached is Colorful_Clown_3.psd which was made a couple of years ago with Photoshow Creative Cloud 2015 (I believe). I opened this in Affinity 1.7.2 and exported it as a PSD (maintain editability setting). Notice that the export is half the size of the original for some reason. At any rate, the original works just fine in BMD Fusion Studio while the PSD created by Affinity does not.

I should note that some apps see the PSD correctly (Avid Media Composer, for example, seems to bring in a PSD created by Affinity correctly although I did have an unexplained crash with that clown PSD from Affinity - but other PSD's from Affinity seemed to work).

Thanks.

Colorful_Clown_3_from_affinity.psd

Colorful_Clown_3.psd

Edited by BarkinMadd

BTW - BMD Fusion Studio is the standalone version of Fusion, not the Fusion page in Davinci Resolve Studio. The PSD from Affinity appears to work fine within Davinci Resolve Studio. I'm trying to understand the difference - something in the way Affinity forms the PSD is not compatible with Fusion Studio (perhaps you will be able to determine the difference between the two attached PSD and that will provide a clue?). Thanks again for your help, Gabe.

• Staff
20 hours ago, BarkinMadd said:

BTW - BMD Fusion Studio is the standalone version of Fusion, not the Fusion page in Davinci Resolve Studio.

Ah. Right. I will have to see if we can replicate it in the standalone version. It's weird though how it works fine in Resolve but not in Fusion. 

Fusion 9 is a bit more forgiving regarding the file structure of exported PSDs from Affinity Photo.

Importing the PSD breaks the Adjustment Layers and the replaced face is completely black.
what works is one Layer in the PSD.
,PSDs with for example two Layers but no Adjustment and no active MaskLayers works too.

In Fusion 16;
Adjustment Layers are like above a big problem
an exported PSD from Affinity Photo with one Layer works.
a PSD with an active Mask and a seocnd LAyer isn´t loaded correctly.
a PSD with two Layers isn´t loaded correctly.

Sketchbook (with Affinity Suite usage) | timurariman.com | https://bansheebyte.artstation.com/store

Windows 11 Pro - 22H2 | Ryzen 5800X3D | RTX 3090 - 24GB | 128GB |
Main SSD with 1TB | SSD 4TB | PCIe SSD 256GB (configured as Scratch disk) |

• 11 months later...

I'm having a similar issue with a serries of affinity photo design I exported in PSD and imported in Davinci Resolve 16 (Fusion Tab).

The PSD import well but not the text layers even when they are rasterized... Since there is an FCPX PSD export option I'm only assuming it imports correctly in Final Cut (including rasterized text layers hopefully? can you confirm?) and therefore is an interpretation mistake from Resolve. All layers are here, but text ones are empty...

Any light you guys could shade? it'll be so awesome if we could use Affinity & resolve to replace adobe!!!

I also attached an PSD export

Kundalini_w_Sjhara_Tailor_-_Expand_Your_Radiance.psd