Hi - how can you offer a publisher tool and then it is not possible to use Emojis. I have bought publisher to have free opportunities to create flyers, brochures or a book. 

Is there a way to change it in some settings?

Thanks for fast reply

Corina

The Emojis that are available on the Edit > Emojis & Symbols menu are part of macOS and aren't supported by Affinity Publisher. To use Emojis you would need to use the Place options and have image versions of them to insert.

macOS, TextEdit vs. Affinity Publisher concerning Emojis in Artistic or Frame Text Tool, TextEdit wins. Come on guys, a DTP software not able to handle Unicode Emojis in flow text???? This is kinda ridiculous. Dito Affinity Photo and Designer.

2019-10-02_09-02-21.thumb.png.4b42f6368704509bfb7bf6b8357dc2ba.png

Roland Rick

Roland Rick Photography
Pipobike Mountainbike Guide and Driving Instructor

iMac 27 5K Retina (Late 2013), MBP 15" Retina (Something 2013), MBP13" Retina (Early 2015)

On 9/30/2019 at 2:16 PM, Lee D said:

The Emojis that are available on the Edit > Emojis & Symbols menu are part of macOS and aren't supported by Affinity Publisher.

Is there a reason for this?

iMac 27" Late 2015 Fully Loaded, iMac 27" Mid 2011 both running High Sierra 10.13.6 - Affinity Designer/Photo & Publisher - Illustrator CC, Inkscape, Blender, Sketchup, Pepakura Designer, MTC, Pixelmator & Pixelmator Pro + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9 B|  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - FeedbackInstagram & Flickr

14 hours ago, firstdefence said:

Is there a reason for this?

Possibly because the Apple Color Emoji font is (at least in effect) a color font, which the Affinity apps do not (yet) support. There may also be copyright issues involved. 

However, at least on Macs, a very limited subset of that font is supported, maybe because they are the only ones that include a 'fallback core' like real color fonts would include for all the font's glyphs, but that is just a guess. Supported Apple emojis.afdesign includes them all (I think).

Affinity Photo 1.7.3, Affinity Designer 1.7.3, Affinity Publisher 1.7.3; macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM
Affinity Photo 1.7.3.155 & Affinity Designer 1.7.3.1 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 13.1.2

I have an author made a book Emojis all over. Way too much by utilising image versions of that. Emojis are today omnipotent and everywhere and a must have in flow text.

5 hours ago, R C-R said:

Possibly because the Apple Color Emoji font is (at least in effect) a color font, which the Affinity apps do not (yet) support. There may also be copyright issues involved. 

However, at least on Macs, a very limited subset of that font is supported, maybe because they are the only ones that include a 'fallback core' like real color fonts would include for all the font's glyphs, but that is just a guess. Supported Apple emojis.afdesign includes them all (I think).

Roland Rick

Roland Rick Photography

iMac 27 5K Retina (Late 2013), MBP 15" Retina (Something 2013), MBP13" Retina (Early 2015)

If you have an Emoji font installed I think you should be able to use them via the Glyph Browser in the Studio. On Windows I find that I have a font called EmojiOne Color that (except for the Color part) works just fine that way.

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1903 (18362.356), 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz, GeForce GTX 970
Affinity Photo 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.486 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.486 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.499 Beta

1 minute ago, walt.farrell said:

On Windows I find that I have a font called EmojiOne Color that (except for the Color part) works just fine that way.

I think that is because the Affinity apps do not yet support color fonts (which include SVG graphics) & that font probably has a full set of ordinary 'fallbacks' in its Open Type glyphs.

And of course, since the Apple Color Emoji font is available only on products running an Apple OS, & even the number of included glyphs differ by OS version, there is only one way to be sure a document that includes them will look the same on some other machine (even other Apple ones). That is to use a raster image version of the glyph(s), just like @Lee D mentioned.

Affinity Photo 1.7.3, Affinity Designer 1.7.3, Affinity Publisher 1.7.3; macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM
Affinity Photo 1.7.3.155 & Affinity Designer 1.7.3.1 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 13.1.2

1 hour ago, R C-R said:

And of course, since the Apple Color Emoji font is available only on products running an Apple OS, & even the number of included glyphs differ by OS version, there is only one way to be sure a document that includes them will look the same on some other machine (even other Apple ones). That is to use a raster image version of the glyph(s), just like @Lee D mentioned.

Or, one could use a different Emoji font, rather than one that is so dependent on the OS.

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1903 (18362.356), 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz, GeForce GTX 970
Affinity Photo 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.486 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.486 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.499 Beta

1 hour ago, walt.farrell said:

Or, one could use a different Emoji font, rather than one that is so dependent on the OS.

But if the font includes color emojis, I am almost certain you still would get only the mono-color version, so using a raster image version of the glyphs remains the best way to make sure the document's emojis would look the same for everyone.

1 hour ago, R C-R said:

But if the font includes color emojis, I am almost certain you still would get only the mono-color version, so using a raster image version of the glyphs remains the best way to make sure the document's emojis would look the same for everyone.

Good point, though, of course, if you're sharing Affinity files no one will have the color support. Everyone will see the same monochrome emojis.

-- Walt

4 hours ago, R C-R said:

I think that is because the Affinity apps do not yet support color fonts (which include SVG graphics) & that font probably has a full set of ordinary 'fallbacks' in its Open Type glyphs.

Just curious...Does Apple's emoji font(s) use SVG format (vector and/or bitmap) or the SBIX format (bitmaps)? 

Windows color fonts use the COLR format (vector) as far as I know. No one uses Googles color font format, also as far as I know.

looks like they use SBIX

Implementation[edit]

Prior to iOS 5 SoftBank encoding was used for encoding emoji on Apple devices. Beginning with iOS 5, emoji are encoded using the Unicode standard.[27][28] Emoji glyphs are stored as PNG images,[29] at several resolutions (strikes of 20, 32, 40, 48, 64, 96 and 160 pixels squared) using a proprietary "sbix" table that was later standardized in OpenType version 1.8.[29][30][31]

iMac 27" Late 2015 Fully Loaded, iMac 27" Mid 2011 both running High Sierra 10.13.6 - Affinity Designer/Photo & Publisher - Illustrator CC, Inkscape, Blender, Sketchup, Pepakura Designer, MTC, Pixelmator & Pixelmator Pro + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9 B|  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - FeedbackInstagram & Flickr

One can get Emoji One Color from a github repository as Walt mentioned that has fallback.

Capture_000255.png.3a820182b3a920d6ab719f079dc910ba.png

Of course, in recent versions of QXP they are in glorious color. Not that I would use an emoji font anyway, but it is available and does work in color in Q (all three main color font formats do).

On 10/3/2019 at 5:08 PM, R C-R said:

Hmmm, in e.g. FCPX I can use colour emojis without any problem...

Roland Rick

Roland Rick Photography