You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

macOS, TextEdit vs. Affinity Publisher concerning Emojis in Artistic or Frame Text Tool, TextEdit wins. Come on guys, a DTP software not able to handle Unicode Emojis in flow text???? This is kinda ridiculous. Dito Affinity Photo and Designer.

2019-10-02_09-02-21.thumb.png.4b42f6368704509bfb7bf6b8357dc2ba.png

Roland Rick

Roland Rick Photography
Pipobike Mountainbike Guide and Driving Instructor

iMac 27 5K Retina (Late 2013), MBP 15" Retina (Something 2013), MBP13" Retina (Early 2015)

On 9/30/2019 at 2:16 PM, Lee D said:

The Emojis that are available on the Edit > Emojis & Symbols menu are part of macOS and aren't supported by Affinity Publisher.

Is there a reason for this?

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

14 hours ago, firstdefence said:

Is there a reason for this?

Possibly because the Apple Color Emoji font is (at least in effect) a color font, which the Affinity apps do not (yet) support. There may also be copyright issues involved. 

However, at least on Macs, a very limited subset of that font is supported, maybe because they are the only ones that include a 'fallback core' like real color fonts would include for all the font's glyphs, but that is just a guess. Supported Apple emojis.afdesign includes them all (I think).

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

I have an author made a book Emojis all over. Way too much by utilising image versions of that. Emojis are today omnipotent and everywhere and a must have in flow text.

5 hours ago, R C-R said:

Possibly because the Apple Color Emoji font is (at least in effect) a color font, which the Affinity apps do not (yet) support. There may also be copyright issues involved. 

However, at least on Macs, a very limited subset of that font is supported, maybe because they are the only ones that include a 'fallback core' like real color fonts would include for all the font's glyphs, but that is just a guess. Supported Apple emojis.afdesign includes them all (I think).

Roland Rick

Roland Rick Photography

iMac 27 5K Retina (Late 2013), MBP 15" Retina (Something 2013), MBP13" Retina (Early 2015)

If you have an Emoji font installed I think you should be able to use them via the Glyph Browser in the Studio. On Windows I find that I have a font called EmojiOne Color that (except for the Color part) works just fine that way.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1 minute ago, walt.farrell said:

On Windows I find that I have a font called EmojiOne Color that (except for the Color part) works just fine that way.

I think that is because the Affinity apps do not yet support color fonts (which include SVG graphics) & that font probably has a full set of ordinary 'fallbacks' in its Open Type glyphs.

And of course, since the Apple Color Emoji font is available only on products running an Apple OS, & even the number of included glyphs differ by OS version, there is only one way to be sure a document that includes them will look the same on some other machine (even other Apple ones). That is to use a raster image version of the glyph(s), just like @Lee D mentioned.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

1 hour ago, R C-R said:

And of course, since the Apple Color Emoji font is available only on products running an Apple OS, & even the number of included glyphs differ by OS version, there is only one way to be sure a document that includes them will look the same on some other machine (even other Apple ones). That is to use a raster image version of the glyph(s), just like @Lee D mentioned.

Or, one could use a different Emoji font, rather than one that is so dependent on the OS.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

1 hour ago, walt.farrell said:

Or, one could use a different Emoji font, rather than one that is so dependent on the OS.

But if the font includes color emojis, I am almost certain you still would get only the mono-color version, so using a raster image version of the glyphs remains the best way to make sure the document's emojis would look the same for everyone.

Affinity Photo 

1 hour ago, R C-R said:

But if the font includes color emojis, I am almost certain you still would get only the mono-color version, so using a raster image version of the glyphs remains the best way to make sure the document's emojis would look the same for everyone.

Good point, though, of course, if you're sharing Affinity files no one will have the color support. Everyone will see the same monochrome emojis.

-- Walt
PC:

4 hours ago, R C-R said:

I think that is because the Affinity apps do not yet support color fonts (which include SVG graphics) & that font probably has a full set of ordinary 'fallbacks' in its Open Type glyphs.

Just curious...Does Apple's emoji font(s) use SVG format (vector and/or bitmap) or the SBIX format (bitmaps)? 

Windows color fonts use the COLR format (vector) as far as I know. No one uses Googles color font format, also as far as I know.

looks like they use SBIX

Implementation[edit]

Prior to iOS 5 SoftBank encoding was used for encoding emoji on Apple devices. Beginning with iOS 5, emoji are encoded using the Unicode standard.[27][28] Emoji glyphs are stored as PNG images,[29] at several resolutions (strikes of 20, 32, 40, 48, 64, 96 and 160 pixels squared) using a proprietary "sbix" table that was later standardized in OpenType version 1.8.[29][30][31]

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

One can get Emoji One Color from a github repository as Walt mentioned that has fallback.

Capture_000255.png.3a820182b3a920d6ab719f079dc910ba.png

Of course, in recent versions of QXP they are in glorious color. Not that I would use an emoji font anyway, but it is available and does work in color in Q (all three main color font formats do).

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/3/2019 at 5:08 PM, R C-R said:

Hmmm, in e.g. FCPX I can use colour emojis without any problem...

Roland Rick

Roland Rick Photography

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi Rick, thanks for that workaround - got some pretty good informations out of it. Once working for 15 yrs as Unix sysadmin, I could follow. Most probably starting "Terminal", for 95% of users the workaround is over, not complaining, just saying, I personally love it of course.

However, Designer as well as Photo and Publisher must become Emojis enabled. If macOS TestEdit can do it, the Affinity suite should also be able to do it.

Cheers,
Roland

Roland Rick

Roland Rick Photography

• 6 months later...

The work around for emojis in Affinity - December 2020 - is:

1/ Go to https://emojipedia.org/

2/ Choose your emojis

3/ scroll down to the brand/version selections 

4/ Drag across the emoji to the open Affinity document 

Note: Outside hacking, other methods don't seem to work easily enough.

Editorial comment regarding emojis: Emojis Copyright should be no more relevant than Font Copyright, so it shouldn't be part of the conversation. What should be part of the conversation is why emojis are closed for public creativity, additions and insertions - and usuable - in OUR phones, etc. 

Essentially, it's another conversation about censorship.🥳

Screenshot 2020-12-03 at 7.31.40 PM.png

Edited by HBChristo
Good question.

• 1 month later...

Uh! Just battled with Affinity Publisher to add Emojis to my flow text. To my great sadness neither

• the Apple "Edit / Emoji" dialog nor
  • Affinity's "Glyph Studio" nor
  • switching to the Apple Color Emoji Font did help.

I find this a little embarrassing, as almost EVERY $10 Text-Editor can handle Emoji Unicodes properly nowadays...

Is this somehow on the planned feature list?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...