You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer for macOS - 1.7.3

Patrick Connor

• Staff

We are pleased to announce an update for the MacOS release of Affinity Designer, version 1.7.3

Changes in this build

The changes in Affinity Designer for MacOS 1.7.3 (over the last release Affinity Designer 1.7.2) are as follows:

New Features:

• Optimised for [Catalina] Sidecar.

Fixes:

• Fix for problems importing .ABR brushes.
  • Fix for masked adjustment groups drawing incorrectly.
  • Fix for occasional PSD import crash.
  • Miscellaneous text fixes and improvements.
  • Fix for brush angle input occasionally producing an unwanted artefact when used as a dynamic.
  • Help updates.
  • Localization Tweaks

Earlier changes and fixes in 1.7.x since 1.6 (including the new 1.7 features) are listed in some detail in this earlier update announcement.

This thread is for commenting on this announcement. Please do not post bugs or problems that you find when using this version of the software in this thread, instead make a new thread in the Designer Bugs on MacOS section and questions about usage go in the Desktop Questions forum.

UPDATING TO THIS VERSION (Free for existing customers)

The software version can be seen on the splash screen and the About dialog (in application menu, Affinity Designer > About).

If you’ve purchased from the Mac App Store— updates are done automatically next time you run your software after it is available in the Mac App Store. If this does not happen for you, open the Mac App Store app and go to the Updates page and then Store > Reload page or press CMD+R. This should hopefully force the update to show. Apple sometimes phase roll outs around the world which can mean it may take up to 72 hours for your update to be available.

If you’ve purchased from the Affinity Store— each time you start the software it will check for updates and offer to download and install any available update, or in the application main menu there is an option Check for Updates. You can download the latest installer by logging into the affinity store here and find the order in your account and use the "Download" button in there. Alternatively, this new release (and previous versions of Affinity Designer for macOS) can be downloaded from this link (that installer is NOT for Mac App Store purchases and needs a product key).

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• 1 month later...

I recently went to update all my Affinity MacOS apps from 1.7.2 to 1.7.3 on the Mac App Store. The App Store wants to charge me again for all apps. I'm running an older Mac and have maxed out my OS updates at High Sierra 10.13.6. Have I hit a compatibility wall here ?  If so, why is the App Store allowing me to repurchase them instead of saying the apps aren't compatible ? (And, no: The App Store refresh does •not• present free updates to me.). Any idea why I can't update ?  Thanks in advance for any and all help.

1 hour ago, Atomic Ape said:

I recently went to update all my Affinity MacOS apps from 1.7.2 to 1.7.3 on the Mac App Store. The App Store wants to charge me again for all apps. I'm running an older Mac and have maxed out my OS updates at High Sierra 10.13.6. Have I hit a compatibility wall here ?  If so, why is the App Store allowing me to repurchase them instead of saying the apps aren't compatible ? (And, no: The App Store refresh does •not• present free updates to me.). Any idea why I can't update ?  Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Silly questions but the first things to check: are you (1) sure you're logged in at all at the App Store (it's been known to log people out and it not be obvious) and (2) logged in as the Apple ID under which the purchase has been made?

https://bmb.photos | Focus: The unexpected, the abstract, the extreme on screen, paper, & other physical outputTools: macOS (Primary: Ventura, MBP2018), Canon (Primary: 5D3), iPhone (Primary: 14PM), Nikon Film Scanners, Epson Printers

18 hours ago, Brad Brighton said:

Silly questions but the first things to check: are you (1) sure you're logged in at all at the App Store (it's been known to log people out and it not be obvious) and (2) logged in as the Apple ID under which the purchase has been made?

That should go without saying. But, just to be safe, I logged out and logged back in. Still no updates available on my account page. HOWEVER, the app store *did* allow me to install upgrades from the individual product pages. So stupid. Anyway, thanks for the help.

cCan Affinity tell me and  others whether they're going to fix the problem where by you can use Affinity with your Imac on the latest apple update of Catalina? there was a message some time ago saying that Affinity were looking to try and solve this problembut as yet nothing, it would also be nice for Affinity to keep users informed of what is happening. surely we're not expected to buy Affinity again but it won't be long before Affinity's rivals getting Affinity uses that are dejected with the response and lack of action in trying to solve the problem. I doubt very much whether I will get a reply........Over to you Affinity!

• Staff

Barry Gibbs, if you are referring to interactions with Apple Photos then some progress was made with this on Thursday, but has not made it into a beta build yet. You will not have to pay again for this fix, no

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

Patrick Connor thanks for the reply. Just a bit frustrated that Affinity have been informed of this problem about not being able to edit your pictures on Affinity then  not being able to save Them on Imac,m. Affinity use 16/32 bit where as Catalina is 64 bit.

i do hope this problem can be resolved soon.

• Staff
15 hours ago, Barry Gibbs said:

Affinity use 16/32 bit where as Catalina is 64 bit.

I think you are confusing two different things here. Image bit depth and operating system memory management. Not relevant to this problem unless I have misunderstood something here

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

• 2 weeks later...

strange behavior in the OSX (10.12.6) App Store. After Reload no update notification under the Update Tab. In the Purchased I only can open the App (1.7.2). If I go to the Affinity Designer Details, I have the option to update (instead of the buy button) but after 10min. nothing happens. Any Idea?

Edit: after an hour nothing happens

• Staff

@3joern

Please see my recent reply here

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd