You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo for Windows - 1.7.3

Patrick Connor

• Staff

We are pleased to announce an update for the Windows release of Affinity Photo, version 1.7.3

Changes in this build

The changes in Affinity Photo for Windows 1.7.3 (over the last release Affinity Photo 1.7.2) are as follows:

Fixes

• Fixed masks not working in a group of adjustments.
  • Fixed Minimum Blur live filter constantly resetting Radius slider to zero when changing other values.
  • Fixed failure to import .ABR brushes.
  • Fixed PSD import crash (with embedded ICC profiles with non-ASCII names).
  • Fixed Transform panel behaviour when transforming a sheared object with aspect lock.
  • Fixed import of layered TIFF sporadically failing to load text layers.
  • Fixed crash when install location contains a non-ASCII character.
  • Fixed crash at startup (due to initialising crash reporter).
  • Updated translations.

Earlier changes and fixes in 1.7.x since 1.6 (including the new 1.7 features) are listed in some detail in this earlier update announcement.

This thread is for commenting on this announcement. Please do not post bugs or problems that you find when using this version of the software in this thread, instead make a new thread in the Photo Bugs on Windows section and questions about usage go in the Desktop Questions forum.

UPDATING TO THIS VERSION (Free for existing customers)

The software version can be seen on the splash screen and the About dialog (in Help > About Affinity Photo).

If you’ve purchased from the Affinity Store— each time you start the Affinity Store software it will check for updates and offer any available update. The latest update will install over the top of any earlier version, with no need to uninstall. You can download the latest installer by logging into the affinity store here and find the order in your account and use the "Download" button in there. Alternatively, this new release (and previous versions of Affinity Photo for Windows) can be downloaded from this link. (that installer is NOT for Windows Store purchases and needs a product key).

If you’ve purchased from the Microsoft Store— Microsoft Store updates are done automatically by the operating system (each time you start the application). If this does not happen for you, open the Windows Store app and click the three dots in the top right corner of the app and then go to Downloads and Updates. Click Get Updates. This should hopefully force the update to show.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

You say that Version 1.7.3 is a "major update."

How do 8 minor bug fixes and some updated translations constitute a major update? 

It seems more like this latest update should be called version 1.7.21, or perhaps 1.7.2.472 since the previous release was 1.7.2.471

Affinity Photo 2.4.0 (MSI) and 1.10.6; Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 (MSI) and 1.10.6. Windows 10 Home x64 version 22H2.
Dell XPS 8940, 16 GB Ram, Intel Core i7-11700K @ 3.60 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060

Affinity Team Members,

We thank you for the update 1.7.3. Been expecting one due to the import brushes wouldn't work. There are some anomalies with crashes here and there. But, overall, I'm in love with Affinity Photo over Adobe Photoshop since I've tried the trial. Trying to get other people on board for your product. Keep on striving for perfection because you guys have made great strides. 

I would love an easier way to save my gradients.  So, I won't have to recreate them over and over again from scratch for Gradient and Outline within the FX area. Photoshop allowed me to import and them reuse on command. Maybe I haven't learned the proper way on how to save and reuse on command.

Thank all of you

• Staff
7 hours ago, Granddaddy said:

How do 8 minor bug fixes and some updated translations constitute a major update? 

Fair point, it's a copy paste issue from earlier release posts. I will adjust all the 1.7.3 announcements when I'm at work.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

Dear Affinity Team,

Thank you for the latest update, particularly the bug fix with masks in groups. Had previously to revert to 1.7.1 to continue.  I agree with mapline in that all fixes, major or minor, are appreciated, please keep them coming!

Nigel

With the Mac versions from the Affinity store it is under the Menu item Publisher > Check for updates.

813643268_ScreenShot2019-10-04at5_55_28AM.png.c073740b82e37924f535939457b0c682.png

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

• Staff

@Hanu

The instructions in the top post are true. There is no option to check for updates in the Windows version of Affinity Apps, other than the automatic check on start.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

@Patrick Connor

Thank you for the update,

I was wondering if you guys are going to include a Prototyping feature for UX for the next update?

I just wanted to know whether you guys are planning to add Prototyping Persona or maybe lunching a Prototyping software for UX since the User Experience industry is booming. I have created this UI in Affinity Designer and I would want to add interactivity to it. Like add transition effects, design overlays, clickable buttons to go from one artwork to another and record the whole process and render it as a video for user testing. I have also did a mini project and attached it in this form so it could give you guys an idea.

Also if you can add pattern support to create vector patterns and tile them in Hexagon and Square tiles?

25 minutes ago, Boroji said:
I was wondering if you guys are going to include a Prototyping feature for UX for the next update?

I just wanted to know whether you guys are planning to add Prototyping Persona or maybe lunching a Prototyping software for UX since the User Experience industry is booming. I have created this UI in Affinity Designer and I would want to add interactivity to it. Like add transition effects, design overlays, clickable buttons to go from one artwork to another and record the whole process and render it as a video for user testing. I have also did a mini project and attached it in this form so it could give you guys an idea.

Also if you can add pattern support to create vector patterns and tile them in Hexagon and Square tiles?

Isn't all of that something more for Designer than Photo (which this topic is about)?

Probably best if you post about that in Feedback for Affinity Designer on Desktop, by the way.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

You could have thrown in the drag and drop support for Stack, Merge, and all the other multi-file operations. As I've mentioned before, this is so easy to implement and sooooooooooo annoying of not having it when I have to create a new project based on multiple files.

On 10/2/2019 at 11:33 PM, Granddaddy said:

You say that Version 1.7.3 is a "major update."

It seems more like this latest update should be called version 1.7.21, or perhaps 1.7.2.472 since the previous release was 1.7.2.471

The notice calls it an "update" and common practice is to use the 3rd version number for minor updates and bug fix releases, which this is.

• Staff

@fingers

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forum :)

to be fair to Grandaddy, the post originally said "major update" and has since been edited after he correctly pointed out it was a bit OTT for this post, acknowledged here.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

7 hours ago, fingers said:

. . . common practice is to use the 3rd version number for minor updates and bug fix releases, which this is.

Previous announcements identified versions 1.7.1 and versions 1.7.2  as "major updates", and they at least did have some new features and many fixes. Versions 1.7.3 had no new features and just a few fixes but was still described as a "major update", and that was the essence of my comment as noted by @Patrick Connor.

For comparison, announcements for previous "major updates" are at 

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/89224-affinity-photo-for-windows-171/

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/95651-affinity-photo-for-windows-172/

I'm now wondering how version 2.0 will be described when it is released. My understanding is that the update to version 2.0 will not be free, but I can't find the pricing policy for updates at the moment. A paid update will have to be something beyond "major."

Affinity Photo 2.4.0 (MSI) and 1.10.6; Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 (MSI) and 1.10.6. Windows 10 Home x64 version 22H2.
Dell XPS 8940, 16 GB Ram, Intel Core i7-11700K @ 3.60 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060

Hey Granddaddy,

As an American you should be used by now to being told that even the smallest (and sometimes imaginary) achievement is called "huge" or "wonderful" or "Beautiful" ;)

You might be interested to know that in the beta release line versions 1.8.0.xxx ( the xxx is for beta increments) are being announced.

I agree that the the updates in 1.7.2 were probably significant enough to warrant an increment of the second version number, but be grateful that Affinity are rolling these updates out quickly - maybe they had already started work on the 1.8 line and wanted to get the improvements out quicker.

See the updates in the following thread:

Great tool, great that we are being given more real improvements - just dying to see support for Canon's EOS-R raw files (and I know that has to come from a 3rd party).

• 3 weeks later...

I have reported in this forum a feature, that existed in version 1.6.x and was removed in version 1.7.x, see:

"Presets in the Crop Tool with fixed pixel sizes do not work any longer"

I consider removing a feature, that users have relied upon before and then has been taken away, as something that is even more severe than a bug. I'm disappointed, that the developers have not used the chance to bring it back in 1.7.3. I'm also disappointed, that no one from Serif is even making a statement, whether they have any intentions to bring it back and when this could be expected. I'm waiting now since several month and have to live with a time consuming workaround to crop my images to fixed pixel dimensions (i.e. enter the values manually again and again). Without any perspective, I would probably have to look for a different tool.

I would appreciate, if Serif is finally giving an answer to this issue.

• Staff
8 hours ago, TThomsen said:

I would appreciate, if Serif is finally giving an answer to this issue.

That is not going to happen here. This thread is not for the discussion of anything beyond the 1.7.3 Photo Windows update.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

I've just tried to upgrade from 1.7.2 to 1.7.3 and the uninstall went fine - now regretting that move because the new version's installation won't even start up. 

Is this a common or known issue? I'm stuck! I have 45 360° photos to fix up for a client and time's a ticking.  

Can you help?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Thank you for adding the REFINE button to the Flood Select tool toolbar - handy and appreciated

Affinity Designer 2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212 Affinity Photo 2.2.2075  beta 2.3.1.2212Affinity Publisher  2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212

Windows 11 Pro Version    22H2
OS build    22621.1928
Processor    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700 CPU @ 2.90GHz   2.90 GHz
Installed RAM    16.0 GB (15.7 GB usable)
System type    64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

yoda.png

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/3/2019 at 12:52 AM, mapline said:

Depends if the fixes are important to you.

I appreciate any update .

Thanks and keep them coming.

No it doesn't depend on if fixes are important to you or not, there's valid reasoning behind such terms as "major update" and software versioning actually follows  the same strategies/guidelines/rules everywhere except you're dealing with developers who have no clue and should use their caffeine intake probably in a different area ;) Developers can get finicky about this as it's quite important to have a proper versioning system in place.