You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo for macOS - 1.7.3

Patrick Connor

• Staff

We are pleased to announce an update for the MacOS release of Affinity Photo, version 1.7.3

Changes in this build

The changes in Affinity Photo for MacOS 1.7.3 over the recent release Affinity Photo 1.7.2 are as follows:

New Features:

• Optimised for [Catalina] Sidecar.

Fixes

• Fix for masked adjustment groups drawing incorrectly.
  • Fix for problems importing .ABR brushes.
  • Fix for occasional PSD import crash.
  • PDF Export: "Allow advanced features" checkbox was missing.
  • Miscellaneous text fixes and improvements.
  • Layered TIFF import improved (when it has text layers).
  • Fixes for stability issues that have been logged with us.
  • Help updates.
  • Localization Tweaks

Earlier changes and fixes in 1.7.x since 1.6 (including the new 1.7 features) are listed in some detail in this earlier update announcement.

This thread is for commenting on this announcement. Please do not post bugs or problems that you find when using this version of the software in this thread, instead make a new thread in the Photo Bugs on MacOS section and questions about usage go in the Desktop Questions forum.

UPDATING TO THIS VERSION (Free for existing customers)

The software version can be seen on the splash screen and the About dialog (in application menu, Affinity Photo > About).

If you’ve purchased from the Mac App Store— updates are done automatically next time you run your software after it is available in the Mac App Store. If this does not happen for you, open the Mac App Store app and go to the Updates page and then Store > Reload page or press CMD+R. This should hopefully force the update to show. Apple sometimes phase roll outs around the world which can mean it may take up to 72 hours for your update to be available.

If you’ve purchased from the Affinity Store— each time you start the software it will check for updates and offer to download and install any available update, or in the application main menu there is an option Check for Updates. You can download the latest installer by logging into the affinity store here and find the order in your account and use the "download" button in there. Alternatively, this new release (and previous versions of Affinity Photo for macOS) can be downloaded from this link (that installer is NOT for Mac app store purchases and needs a product key).

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• Staff

@wjb

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums :) 

17 hours ago, wjb said:

the dialog offered a link to release notes, but it went nowhere

Thanks for the reminder, that has been fixed now.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

Glad to see the 'optimized for sidecar' in there :D

Should this mean that I can update day one without experiencing problems? (Hopefeully?) I was recently prevented from doing a few days worth of Procreate work because iOS 13 broke the ability to switch brushes. (PITA!) I've been using Procreate on my iPad for inking a graphic novel I'm working on, and then Affinity Photo and Publisher on my Mac for colouring and page layout. (For whatever reason I find Procreate has a really good balance for stabilization, pressure curve, and a lack of wonky tails on lines when you pull the pencil from the screen. So for line work I find it better than the Affinity Suite. I suspect that I might be able to tweak the pressure settings in Affinity, but given that you start with new defaults on every document it seems, it just doesn't feel worth it.)

• Staff
7 minutes ago, DavidMalcolm said:

Should this mean that I can update day one without experiencing problems?

We been very cautious with the fixes that made it in to the 1.7.3 series of updates, so I would recommend it, yes.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

• 1 month later...
  • Staff

@hypnoswan

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums :) 

Does the Mac App Store offer you to "Open" the software or to "Buy" it?  affin.co/MASPhoto 

If "Buy" then you are probably not logged in as the right Apple ID. If "Open" then please check this FAQ and if that does not help please make a new thread in the questions forum rather than this launch announcement. 

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

• 1 month later...
22 minutes ago, Rodrigo Alberto said:

Van a salir más versiones después de la 1.7.3???? 

Windows has a beta release of 1.8 for Publisher, Designer, and Photo.

So far, Mac has the 1.8 beta for Publisher, but we are still waiting for the 1.8 beta for Designer and Photo.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1