You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

1. Use this leaf image: https://pixabay.com/photos/leaf-green-closeup-macro-veins-1631181/
  2. drag or place it into the bug image and place it below the bug layer
  3. You will have to resize the leaf image a bit and rotate it but that's just artistic choice.
  4. Select the bug layer and go to Filters > Colours >Erase white paper.
  5. You could erase the bottom right part to make a clean leaf look but I quite liked it and it gives the leaf an edge which makes it look more realistic.

Should end up with something like this...

Screen-Shot-2019-09-30-at-07-37-14.png

For comparison the image with the corner erased. I used the eraser with a soft brush set to Opacity 100% Flow 28% hardness 0%

Screen-Shot-2019-09-30-at-07-59-52.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

23 hours ago, debbru said:

I can't find Erase under Filters, can you help please

Oops sorry Debra missed the colours bit, changed it now but Callum saved the day lol!

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

21 hours ago, debbru said:

Also do you know if you can do the same in PS

Take a look at this tutorial, the magic is in the Blend options and the Blend if sliders. I would make a selection of the insect body to try and preserve as much detail as possible. But this is no where near as easy as Filters > Colours > Erase white paper in Affinity. I just wish Erase white paper had controls/sliders.

https://pixel77.com/easily-remove-white-background/

A Fast alternative is to change the blend mode of the bug layer to darken, and once you have placed the bug where it will stay erase the leaf underneath the bug so you don't get the leave texture grinning through.