You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Tabs on Steroids (with leading symbols)– feature request, seriously

Hi Team,

I just made a layout for a questionary, simply to awnser with yes or no. To have a leading checkbox in a different color for example to choose "yes" or "no" you have to enter that manually. The only option is to fill the tab-step in order to get a line, here I've chosen the dots. This is how the tabstop panel looks like …

1244221129_Bildschirmfoto2019-09-29um11_27_05.thumb.png.339eb1aeb67a9b3a0c98da5155b1f944.png

The editor for the List styles has more options for leading signs, boxes or whatever. This is the feature I'd like to have for the tabstops too. Maybe like this, according to my example in the background …

Menue_Tabstop_Marker.png.c3830b0ebe82eedf8ec271058e4ef4a3.png

… in addition to the fillers, with leading signs or symbols, and styles. This would be unique and absolutely helpfull in so many cases!

Affinity Suite since 1.7, now on 2.4.0 – I love it !
iMac i9, macOS Sonoma 14.3.1

Just to make sure I am interpreting this correctly, are you asking to have the ability to use tab stops as list items, so that the bullets or numbers of a list are inserted in place of the last leading character(s) of the tab stop, just before where the text would be placed?

That is an interesting idea, and I could certainly see some utility in that...

Yes, this is correct. A list item with preceding text and fillers ( ............), if you want. The given example ist quite simple, but imagine some typographic ideas, based on that function. The most important point is the ability of quick and easy changes, by just editing a tab. (the page of my example has more than 20 of those choise-lines)

An option to reset numbering with each line(or possibly at a specific tab stop) would go well with this, as you would effectively be creating a list that would be delimited by tabs rather than by paragraph breaks.  That would allow things like each tab on a line being "1.", "2.", etc...

I would definitely generalize this to more than just bullets, it could be a very powerful feature to include.

with leading signs or symbols, and maybe numbers yes. but I see mostly symbols, circles, boxes

............................. :) cool .............................. :D very cool ...................................... :80_smile_cat: maybe cats ...................... O something else

On 10/2/2019 at 7:14 AM, haakoo said:

using the inline pinning option

The "normal" bullets as from the original post are mostly text characters (from symbol fonts) and could be pasted into the text just as easily without needing to pin anything... so yes, this overall result can certainly be achieved now...

Consider however, what happens when you change your mind and want every 3rd one to be the hollow circles instead of the solid ones?  Or squares?  (Or cats?)

It also is an extra step beyond simply hitting the tab key and the symbol is there.  If you have a lot of these to do, the requested feature could be a significant time saver.