You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Manual absolutely necessary

Hello

To be frank - I don´t like video tutorials. They waste my precious life time. And they are a waste of (electric) energy.

Why? Because they don´t offer immediately what I´m looking for. Watching a video tutorial im forced to watch guys on the screen that are talking, talking, talking … but not about the items im interested in an which I need to get along with my work.

There should be at least a downloadable PDF with a detailed table of contents. In order to use software I need instructions and I need this information in direct access - and without electricity consuming internet connection.

Regards

Jürgen

Welcome in the 21st century! I‘d be lucky about this too, but do you know one actual application, which provides a printed manual? These times are gone – unfortunately. Maybe there will be a „Publisher Workbook“ some time. But the issue is: It may be outdated in the moment, it is published.

I think, you have to be satisfied with the (very fine) online help or this web version: https://affinity.help/publisher/de.lproj/index.html#

Just to add to what mac_heibu said, each Affinity app comes with the same online help files built-in. So you don’t even need an internet connection to view them.
In the app toolbar on Macs go to Help > Affinity (Photo/Designer/Publisher) Help.

macOS 10.15.7  15" Macbook Pro, 2017  |  4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU  |  Radeon Pro 555 2GB GPU + Integrated Intel HD Graphics 630 1.536GB  |  16GB RAM  |  Wacom Intuos4 M

18 minutes ago, Mark Oehlschlager said:

I understand that Serif will be publishing a printed workbook for Publisher very soon

I understand that Serif will be publishing a printed workbook for Publisher, but I don’t recall seeing any promises about its coming “soon”. Like the other Affinity workbooks it will be a collection of project-based tutorials, not a traditional user manual.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

16 hours ago, Alfred said:

Publisher, but I don’t recall seeing any promises about its coming “soon”

According to an interview with Ashley Hewson that another user linked to (see below), I think they are aiming for 2020, first half of 2020 if possible (I hope I haven't remembered incorrectly, as I listened to it last week). Before they release the workbook, they want to make sure a few major features are added to Publisher before releasing the workbook, and the one example that was cited was IDML import.

6 minutes ago, garrettm30 said:

... Before they release the workbook, they want to make sure a few major features are added to Publisher before releasing the workbook, and the one example that was cited was IDML import.

I hope Serif is using APub for this workbook instead of PagePlus like the others were done in...

• Staff
12 minutes ago, MikeW said:

I hope Serif is using APub for this workbook instead of PagePlus like the others were done in...

I initially thought it should be done in PagePlus for consistency with the other books, but obviously that's just me being cautious. We are using Affinity Publisher and it may get improvements as a consequence.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

47 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

I initially thought it should be done in PagePlus for consistency with the other books, but obviously that's just me being cautious. We are using Affinity Publisher and it may get improvements as a consequence.

There's nothing quite like using the product to hone work-flows and features...

Thanks

• 1 month later...

Great news on several fronts. Making Publisher ready for long-form image-rich print books; and providing those of us who cling to paper-based sources with an printed reference. Will there be a 'book' facility where several individual chapter files can be stitched into one, or are you looking at a single mega file?

• Staff
2 hours ago, MikeV said:

Will there be a 'book' facility where several individual chapter files can be stitched into one, or are you looking at a single mega file?

Not in 1.8 but we understand the desire/uses for this feature.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• 11 months later...
On 9/29/2019 at 12:31 PM, mac_heibu said:

Welcome in the 21st century! I‘d be lucky about this too, but do you know one actual application, which provides a printed manual? These times are gone – unfortunately. Maybe there will be a „Publisher Workbook“ some time. But the issue is: It may be outdated in the moment, it is published.

I think, you have to be satisfied with the (very fine) online help or this web version: https://affinity.help/publisher/de.lproj/index.html#

dear mac_heibu and others,

very much in the 21st cenbtury, i have been and still am greatly (and very efficiently) helped by the printed books by especially martin evening for adobe lightroom and photoshop. but also books by other authors on nik software or capture one pro have helped me a lot. think only of the indexes - such an efficient way to trouble-shoot, compared to youtube videos. so, as a newcomer to affinity, i am very much on the lookout for a printed affinity publisher manual... 

hans muus