You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Rasterizing Image On Import

Can't find this option in the Preferences. It's a must. I'm tired of having to RightClick > Rasterize Trim every time I import an image.

There are tools that can't work on an Image layer like inpainting,  marquee tool, etc. Others automatically converts the Image to Pixel with Assistant.

You'll only end up with an (Image) layer if you Place an image into an open document, or drag one onto an open document.

Are you doing that, rather than Opening the image file?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 9 months later...
On 9/28/2019 at 7:09 PM, walt.farrell said:

You'll only end up with an (Image) layer if you Place an image into an open document, or drag one onto an open document.

Are you doing that, rather than Opening the image file?

I must of the time just create a new document via clipboard. So it should be the same as creating a new document and placing the image, but it also makes the thing an Image Layer instead of a Pixel Layer.

Sometimes I also paste things via Paste/Ctrl + V. 

In the recent version, something improved. Now using the Inpainting Tool on an Image Layer, convert it to Pixel Layer with the Assistant automatically.

So, it's only the Marque Tool left to join the club. 

But, I just read something in another thread that may finally solve this?. Are Image Layers the same thing as Photoshop's Smart Objects? If so, then I don't have to convert to Pixel, and I can just go inside of it, made the pixels manipulations I want, and then exit...

But having to right-click > Rasterize (Trim) every time I paste an image or create a new document from a clipboard image, just to have it converted from Image to Pixel, is not practical in a program that is supposed to work with "pixels". Do you mean what I say?

5 hours ago, angelhdz12 said:

But, I just read something in another thread that may finally solve this?. Are Image Layers the same thing as Photoshop's Smart Objects? If so, then I don't have to convert to Pixel, and I can just go inside of it, made the pixels manipulations I want, and then exit...

No, (Image) layers are not the same thing as Photoshop's Smart Objects.

The (Image) layers are treated in Photo as embedded images, which are not separately editable. For something like a Smart Object you would need a layer that shows up as (Embedded document), such as a Placed .afphoto, or .pdf, or .svg, etc.

6 hours ago, angelhdz12 said:

But having to right-click > Rasterize (Trim) every time I paste an image or create a new document from a clipboard image, just to have it converted from Image to Pixel, is not practical in a program that is supposed to work with "pixels".

An (Image) layer is a form of container, a sort of vector layer, not a pixel layer. If you want to work on its pixels, you need to rasterize it, just as you would any other vector layer.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1