You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Workbooks

Bryce

The Official Serif Affinity workbooks were advertised in a recent email. Buy the book at discount and get free t-shirt. I already had purchased the Designer workbook and thought it was a great way to learn. I took up the offer from Serif and bought the Photo workbook. I was expecting the sale to be getting rid of the old books on hand. If it was different it wouldn't be that much different. Amazingly enough, I didn't realize it was updated for 1.7. Is the Designer book updated for 1.7? Is there going to be a Publisher book soon?

• Staff

The updates needed were very minor

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• Staff

There is no plan as so little needed changing. The shortcuts were updated and they can be downloaded from affinityspotlight.com

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

On 9/29/2019 at 3:24 AM, Bryce said:

Buy the book at discount and get free t-shirt

I received an email (Sept 14th) offering the workbooks at a discount however there was no mention of a t-shirt.

I'm puzzled! ... Was the t-shirt offer when the workbook(s) order was placed or was the t-shirt offer to selected countries only?

• Staff
10 minutes ago, PedroOfOz said:

Was the t-shirt offer when the workbook(s) order was placed or was the t-shirt offer to selected countries only?

Yes. We cannot deliver the t-shirt to certain countries, so that is exactly what has happened

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

Thanks for your quick reply Patrick.

I'm aware the workbooks can't be shipped to certain countries however Australia isn't one of those countries so I'd have thought there wouldn't be an issue regarding the t-shirt. No worries.

Are the t-shirts available for purchase? I don't have much use for a workbook (I prefer vid tuts) however I certainly would like to purchase a t-shirt :)

• Staff
19 minutes ago, PedroOfOz said:

Are the t-shirts available for purchase?

They are at the bottom of the affinity.store  page , but note the red text

Please note - due to an issue with our shipping partner, we are currently unable to fulfil t-shirt orders for the following countries: Australia, New Zealand, Japan, Hong Kong, Singapore, Norway, Switzerland.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/28/2019 at 12:27 PM, Lee D said:

Both Designer and Photo Workbooks have been updated for 1.7 and a Publisher Workbook is currently being worked on, no eta on the release date yet.

Any way we can get on a list to be emailed when the Publisher book is available?

Edited by Flea77

• Staff

@Flea77

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forum. :) 

11 hours ago, Flea77 said:

Any way we can get on a list to be emailed when the Publisher book is available?

Everyone [located in a country we can ship to] who has bought anything (or claimed free content from the Welcome screen) from the Affinity Store is likely to be contacted (unless you opt out of future marketing contact). I cannot see the marketing team not wanting to tell everyone they can ;)

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

I am quite sure I opted out of everything as I hate spam, which is why I was specifically asking about a notification list for this one item. I will assume by your answer that would be a no. I was waiting to buy Publisher until the book came out, guess I will just check back whenever I remember to do so and maybe see it then.

• Staff
42 minutes ago, Flea77 said:

I will assume by your answer that would be a no

Not exactly no, just not as directly. Without all the information to hand to hand I gave the generic answer for how we will tell those we have permission to email.

A more specific answer for anyone unsubscribed would be to choose one of these ways to check. 

1. Become a follower of the News and Information forum and watch your emails, rather than remember to visit.
  2. Check the Welcome screen of your Affinity Applications occasionally ( "Help" > "Welcome..." or on start if not turned off)
  3. If you have a feed reader, one of these Affinity Spotlight feeds will let you know.
  4. Follow us on Facebook, not ideal as we post a lot and you could still miss it.

none are ideal and you will see lots as well as the Publisher workbook, but there you go. I think the (Publisher) Welcome feed is the least intrusive and will have the Workbook on from launch.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Staff
On 10/29/2019 at 2:37 PM, BurtPorter111 said:

...and an estimated time when the Photo book will be published?  I've ordered it, and have been awaiting notification, but have heard (and recieved) nothing.

Please email AffinityOrders@serif.com with your order number for more information on your specific order

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/1/2019 at 5:13 PM, trifonovdesign said:

Please make an electronic version of the Offical Affinity Publisher Workbook.

1) No shipping cost

2) Save the trees

3) No ink, better for the environment

4) Search function

5) Instant joy :) 

Once the digital copy is out there is also creates instant pirating these days unfortunatly. 

With the layout of the Photo and Designer books, I haven't found #4 to be an actual issue and all the other points really just revolve around environmental concerns and honestly there are far more wasteful things we all consume everyday that could be cut down on than a book that should last a very long time.

The only point I'd see some validity on would be a digital book could be purchased and updated without additional cost or loss to the end user.  Affinity seems to continue development, which is fantastic but eventually have to imagine that some of the tools can change (ex.  HSL adjustment tool in the more recent versions).  

I do wonder about the energy/environmental impact.

Once the book is made it's done with any negative impacts.

On the other hand the digital file may not cost much upfront - not counting the cost of constant upgrades of electronics, required to read the file, and will easily outlive the many devices you will have, but it must continue to use energy every time the file is opened. Even 100 years from now, if it's even able to be found/opened/formats changed will require electricity. The book, however, will still sit nicely on the shelf and will be retained - possibly for hundreds of years, without ever using any more electricity to be read.

When it's time to discard the book permanently, it will gently go back to the dirt - clay coatings and all, while the device(s) must be recycled and cost much more. Most are not as we know but thrown in landfills, heavy metals, lithium batteries, lead, and more.

Which was more environmentally friendly?

• 1 year later...

Well this whole thread here is more a Q&A "question & answer" and thus no resource in the sense of ...

Resources

Share your custom brush, textures and other resources with the Affinity community.

... has to be moved too!

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2