You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

• Staff

Hi @AndyPower1 Which Affinity app are you using and on which OS? What is the format of the image you're importing, are you using File > open or File > Place? Can you provide a screenshot of how it looks when in Affinity.

As @thomaso suggests it may be an issue with a colour profile, if you're using Windows, you could always check what this is set to in the Colour Management settings.

21 minutes ago, Lee D said:

Hi @AndyPower1 Which Affinity app are you using and on which OS? What is the format of the image you're importing, are you using File > open or File > Place? Can you provide a screenshot of how it looks when in Affinity.

As @thomaso suggests it may be an issue with a colour profile, if you're using Windows, you could always check what this is set to in the Colour Management settings.

I’m using the latest i9 MacBook Pro. All other software looks great with the same photo, bright and vibrant - even in Affinity photo it’s fine, but publisher looks dreadful washed out and pale. 

What File format are these images RAW, Jpeg, Tiff?

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

8 hours ago, AndyPower1 said:

it’s absolutely fine in all software (Graphic, Adobe, photo) accept Publisher

You compare slightly apples with pears: whereas you did OPEN the pic in your various image processing software, you did IMPORT to AfPub into an existing document (=container). The color space of that document is influencing, too.

Instead import try to OPEN that pic in AfPub – and be surprised about your initially dreadful impression.
Or vice-versa: Create in "Graphic" app a document with CMYK color space and then copy/paste your blue pic into that existing "Graphic" document. I assume it looks same dreadful, too.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

The blue on the bottom one is out of gamut for CMYK printing. If you're doc is set to CMYK it'll show up like the top one regardless of whether it's in Publisher or InDesign. I pulled your bottom image into InDesign with the doc set to CMYK. If you want to test this, open the image in Photo and then change the color space to cmyk, it'll switch to look like the top one.

Annotation 2019-09-28 133720.jpg

I looked at the settings in affinity photo as the photo looks as it should in there... it’s exactly the same as the colour settings in publisher yet the result is as you see - washed out. 

there is no import command in Affinity.. i select the photo icon on the left then select my photo etc... 

What do i need to do to correct this washed out look please? 

When you create a new document, you can choose the colour profile:

2019-09-28_210450.png.5bdd89a8af2f15f5deaf3b8052ced878.png

And you can check the colour profile of an already opened document, with File > configuration, or with the move tool selected, clicking on the "configuration" button:
(you can see the difference after importing your RVB images from this thread)

2019-09-28_210915.thumb.png.837ba6208a2646ffb99e08ff7f8c608b.png

2019-09-28_210902.thumb.png.5d5d15c84324cd176d20410b92cde9b2.png

5 hours ago, AndyPower1 said:

there is no import command in Affinity.. i select the photo icon on the left then select my photo etc... 

That is import (= place), and is what you called import in your initial post: " if I import into Affinity ".

To open (not import) drag the image onto Afpub's app icon.
Or use in AfPub the menu File > Open ...

5 hours ago, AndyPower1 said:

What do i need to do to correct this washed out look please? 

Either open (not import) the image in Afpub.
Or go in your dreadful .afpub to Document Setup... > Color > Color format and switch from CMYK to RGB.

@Wovsen has posted two according screenshots.

However, have in mind that in a print of your .afpub the colors, especially blue, will appear again what you call dreadful.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1