You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

No Affinity thumbnail previews in iCloud Drive (Files app)

iuli

7 hours ago, edwardsson said:

It think it is quite annoying that the icons are not the correct ones. I can live with it, but I expect it to be solved. It has to be ”fixable” somehow.

I’m trying to figure out a different workflow until this gets fixed. My normal workflow is not effective with time anymore. So I’ve been trying some work arounds:

- working on projects on my iPad -> save to iCloud -> open exact project(s) on desktop and save again for iPad use later -> reciprocate 

or 

- Leave all projects open on the home page and never close them (is this what the sandbox is?)

both methods have their drawbacks but I really need to see the actual artwork as the thumbnail to work efficiently so doing all of this extra stuff is worth it for now. 

• 3 months later...
On 5/5/2021 at 3:27 AM, edwardsson said:

It think it is quite annoying that the icons are not the correct ones.

My default affinity folder icons were all showing incorrectly as beta (after multiple beta updates), even the release version app folder. I moved all the content out to a temp folder and the default save folder disappeared. Saved a new file and the app recreated the default folder but now it showed the correct icon naming.

I've had occasional files that won’t open in the correct app and so in Files app I select the file, long press and tap Share sheet icon then select the desired app. That corrected the link so that next time I tapped the file it opened correctly. Might be worth try this?

I suspect the issue is with iOS (not Affinity) and how iOS manages associations.

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

On 8/13/2021 at 3:02 AM, DM1 said:

My default affinity folder icons were all showing incorrectly as beta (after multiple beta updates), even the release version app folder. I moved all the content out to a temp folder and the default save folder disappeared. Saved a new file and the app recreated the default folder but now it showed the correct icon naming.

I tried the workaround mentioned above, but, unfortunately, it didn't work for me. Got the same icon as before, i.e. The Affinity Photo icon on the Affinity Designer folder.

2020 MacBook Pro 13” M1 | Affinity Designer 2 | Affinity Photo 2 | Affinity Publisher 2

2019 iPad Air 3 10.5” | Affinity Designer for iPad 2 | Affinity Photo for iPad 2 | Affinity Publisher for iPad 2

»A determined man can do more with a rusty screwdriver than a lazy man with a whole toolbox»

On 5/5/2021 at 10:49 AM, Ision Industries said:

Leave all projects open on the home page and never close them (is this what the sandbox is?)

This method allows you thumbnails, but be aware that sandboxed files are often corrupted and become inaccessible (possibly due to how iOS manages ram reallocation). A work around that offers more security is to create a file, save the file (or Save a Copy, which allows naming and storage folder selection), the close the file on Home Screen (effectively deleting it), then use Import from Cloud to reopen the copy you made in previous step. The Home Screen icon (sandboxed file) is now linked to the external folder file version. You have a new Save option in Document menu which saves edits back to the folder and sandbox. Now you can open from Home Screen icon, edit, save from Document menu, have both sandbox and folder versions up to date and, most importantly, you have an external file you can access if the sandbox gets corrupted.

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/