Jump to content
srg

bug? in exporting Jpeg

Recommended Posts

Without looking at your export settings and the image's proprieties, it's difficult to help.

Did your export settings are set to a huge level of JPEG compression? (quality near 0 instead of near 100?)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Wosven said:

Without looking at your export settings and the image's proprieties, it's difficult to help.

Did your export settings are set to a huge level of JPEG compression? (quality near 0 instead of near 100?)

yes they seem to inversely correlate with the size, see .Jpeg images: first 3.2MB, second 2.4 MB, third 1.4 MB. Hope this will be fixed if possible.

3.2MB.jpg

2.3MB.jpg

1.4MB.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, you asked for low quality, and you got it :)

But if you want more info than that:

  • What color space do you have for the original image? RGB/8? RGB/16?
  • What settings are on the More... part of the Export dialog?
  • Can you supply the .afphoto file you exported from?

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1909 (183623.476),
   Desktop: 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00GHz, GeForce GTX 970
   Laptop:  8GB memory, Intel Core i7-3625QM @ 2.30GHz, Intel HD Graphics 4000 or NVIDIA GeForce GT 630M
Affinity Photo 1.8.2.620 and 1.8.3.641 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.8.2.620 and 1.8.3.641 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.8.2.620 and 1.8.3.627 Beta.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, walt.farrell said:

Well, you asked for low quality, and you got it :)

But if you want more info than that:

  • What color space do you have for the original image? RGB/8? RGB/16?
  • What settings are on the More... part of the Export dialog?
  • Can you supply the .afphoto file you exported from?

I saved in High quality (see previous post in this thread) and at the same file size the result is identical.

Wosven said that are my settings that are wrong. Well, I have no settings, AP does.

One final question: if this is not a bug why saving/exporting in  such a common format is so complicated?

 

749660921_ScreenShot2019-09-28at7_05_49PM.thumb.png.ad7b484a9900f7146a040a9dbf1dad61.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, srg said:

I saved in High quality (see previous post in this thread) and at the same file size the result is identical.

Wosven said that are my settings that are wrong. Well, I have no settings, AP does.

One final question: if this is not a bug why saving/exporting in  such a common format is so complicated?

Saving at Quality 10 is not common, in my experience. Your image needs a higher quality setting. Try 60 or higher.

Yes, the file will be bigger then, but you need to make the tradeoff between quality and size. Perhaps you need to make the image smaller (smaller pixel dimensions) to get the JPG down to a smaller size if that's what you need. You can't have good image quality in a small file if you want an image that is 7376x4932 px. You either need to increase the quality, or decrease the px size, or both.


-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1909 (183623.476),
   Desktop: 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00GHz, GeForce GTX 970
   Laptop:  8GB memory, Intel Core i7-3625QM @ 2.30GHz, Intel HD Graphics 4000 or NVIDIA GeForce GT 630M
Affinity Photo 1.8.2.620 and 1.8.3.641 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.8.2.620 and 1.8.3.641 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.8.2.620 and 1.8.3.627 Beta.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Saving at Quality 10 is not common, in my experience.

Photoshop's Save as... function has a quality setting from 0 to 12 for JPGs

Maybe the OP is used to setting this to 10

 

 

saveas.png


Due to the fact that Boris Johnson is now our Prime Minister, punctuation, spelling and grammar will never be worried about ever again.  We now have far bigger problems to be worried about.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fact time, @srg :)

JPG export in Affinity Photo has serious problems below high quality. I never (have to) go below 100% ever in a professional context, but web editors on CMS-systems that does not server scale images need optimized JPG output. Affinity Designer, Photo and Publisher works through a shared code base, so you will get equally disappointing results in all three programs.

Example. Nice smooth high quality gradient from Affinity Designer 1.7 latest saved to 8-bit TIFF, reopened in Photo and Adobe Photoshop CC 2019, and saved as JPG low (in their own definition) in both programs (10 in AD, 3 in Photoshop). Compare visual quality as well as file size. 

Below: Affinity LOW, 473 KB (484.650 byte) Huge file compared to the sad remains of the original file:

affinity_low.thumb.jpg.28a9b3dfbf920cbeba9262124fc9cf79.jpg

Below:  Adobe Photoshop LOW, standard, 297 KB (304.821 byte) Much better. Almost tolerable for computer games and art.

ps_low.thumb.jpg.b9f3bad83a626bd1452fedad6fb53aa2.jpg

Below: Adobe Photoshop, optimized: 121 KB (124.465 byte)

ps_low_optimized.thumb.jpg.1f6e24295cb169fc69d2df62707881db.jpg

Below: And just to show Photoshops lowest setting, no optimization, zero (0 out of 12). 200 KB (205.502 byte)  Now it hurts, but still better:

low.thumb.jpg.c8398b33e9987c7683cf7b380e5e4498.jpg

Below: And Affinity Photo at 10% again again for comparison:

affinity_low.thumb.jpg.28a9b3dfbf920cbeba9262124fc9cf79.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Jowday said:

Fact time, @srg :)

JPG export in Affinity Photo has serious problems below high quality. I never (have to) go below 100% ever in a professional context, but web editors on CMS-systems that does not server scale images need optimized JPG output. Affinity Designer, Photo and Publisher works through a shared code base, so you will get equally disappointing results in all three programs.

Example. Nice smooth high quality gradient from Affinity Designer 1.7 latest saved to 8-bit TIFF, reopened in Photo and Adobe Photoshop CC 2019, and saved as JPG low (in their own definition) in both programs (10 in AD, 3 in Photoshop). Compare visual quality as w

Thank you for your post, it shows my problems in a more clear way.

I believe a program is as good as is its usability and friendliness besides its raw power. I understand that AP is still very young but certainly it should use a lot of small and big improvements.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, srg said:

I understand that AP is still very young but certainly it should use a lot of small and big improvements.

That is what you have been told, but Serif is not. Serif was founded in 1987 and the initial release of their previous photo editor, Serif PhotoPlus was released in 1999; 20 years ago. So were are dealing with real graphic software veterans. And you could expect JPG quality to be pretty good from a company with so many years of experience.

This is the very same file exported from Serif Photoplus X7 in low quality, the result of 15 years of development. It was retired in 2015.

Does it look familiar? Indeed it does. So... Side by side - Photoplus X7 to the left, Affinity Photo 1.7 to the right. No evolution.

photoplus.thumb.jpg.88597fddb5fb1dce01d31b8ea66bda63.jpg affinity_low.thumb.jpg.28a9b3dfbf920cbeba9262124fc9cf79.jpg

At least PhotoPlus X7 offered a preview before saving (as does Photoshop):

image.png.1e146cf013ae371f11c6f2bfdacebdf5.png

And again, Photoshop for comparison:

ps_low.thumb.jpg.b9f3bad83a626bd1452fedad6fb53aa2.jpg

Still, nothing good happens below 50% quality. I don't know why anyone would use it. I'd rather downscale images.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi srg,
Thanks for your report. The JPG export quality was already brought up a few times on these forums. The dev teams are aware of these issues. There's quite a few methods/parameters to generate JPGs (this also applies a few other formats PNG, GIF etc) but currently Affinity doesn't take advantage nor perform any optimisations to get the very best quality/size ratio on all cases. Gradients are particularly problematic as shown in your example. We hope to address this/improve our output/export later. For now i advise you to use a third party image optimiser such as ImageOptim (Mac) JPGmini (Mac and Windows), Optimage (Mac) or RIOT (Win), etc. if you need to get the very best quality/size ratio possible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/30/2019 at 6:16 AM, MEB said:

For now i advise you to use a third party image optimiser such as ImageOptim (Mac) JPGmini (Mac and Windows), Optimage (Mac) or RIOT (Win), etc. if you need to get the very best quality/size ratio possible.

I regularly use ImageOptim on just about every JPEG I intend to upload to any web site. It has a batch mode, a drag & drop UI, & other features that make this easy to do, including on Macs in a semi-automated way. It supports just about every known JPEG optimizer algorithm. It is very fast unless it is set to use the most aggressive optimizations possible, marked as "Insane" in its Optimization Speed > Optimization Level preference for good reason -- even on a fast computer it can take a very, very long time to optimize a large file.

It is also totally free.


Affinity Photo 1.8.2, Affinity Designer 1.8.2, Affinity Publisher 1.8.2; macOS Mojave 10.14.6 iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM
Affinity Photo 
1.8.2.174 & Affinity Designer 1.8.2.4 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 13.3.1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

These problems seem to go back to the renderer itself, as png files have problems, too. Especially if alpha is involved. To get good glows and other gradients to look their best, from AD, I have to export at 4x or 8x the size, take into Photoshop, and then export at the correct size.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Please note the Annual Company Closure section in the Terms of Use. These are the Terms of Use you will be asked to agree to if you join the forum. | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.