You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to find Topaz plugin folders for Affinity Photo iMac

Hi,

Just purchased a new iMac and a AP and AD license and try to find the plugins I have (all Topaz Labs) to connect in Affinity Photo. I'm used to use them in Windows 10 so I wonder where do I find the plugin folder of the Topaz plugins on my iMac? I manage to find the Topaz folder, but when I look inside there is no plugins folder.

Regards & Thanks,

David

I was actually looking for the same answer. It sounds like it needs to be directed to Topaz Labs.

In your /Users/username/Library/Application Support folder there is a Topaz Labs folder. This contains an empty Plug-ins folder, I am guessing that is where the plug ins might be found (if they existed).

That worked for me but a couple of comments.

In step 2, the authorize button adds / to the Support folder panel not the search folders.

I do not have Topaz Studio, only Topaz Sharpen. In step 3 I needed to use Topaz Sharpen AI.app rather than Topaz Studio.app when adding to the search folders

I now have an oddity with an iPhone photo but that is for another topic.

Edited by epo
typo

• 1 month later...

Is Sharpen AI from Topaz Labs actually working as a plug-in within Affinity Photo 1.7.3 for any of you?

I recently purchased Sharpen AI, thought it was working properly, but recently noticed that it is not. I even updated to the most recent version of Sharpen AI 1.4.4, but it's still a no-go here. 

NOTE: The plug-in is installed properly and does start inside Affinity Photo. However, it does not actually make any corrections or adjustments at all. Sharpen AI works as expected when in stand-alone mode. Thanks for any advice. 

Yes it works flawlessly here in Affinity Photo 1.7.3.481 on Windows 10 and Mac Mojave.

If you want to see the effect in Affinity create a extra layer Windows: Ctrl + J      Mac: CMD + J Apply the Sharpen AI effect and then use Windows Ctrl + + Mac CMD++ to zoom in extremely. Then click the layer with Sharpen AI on and off to see the effect. 

I did ALL of that. I'm fairly experienced with Affinity Photo, which is why this one has puzzled me. I completely uninstalled Sharpen AI again, and removed its plug-in from the Photoshop/Plug-ins folder. I then reinstalled it again.

I'm on a Mac with Mojave 10.14.6.

Honestly, Affinity Photo rarely suffers any problems whatsoever. But I know that quite a number of Photoshop plug-ins have historically been problematic with Affinity Photo, so perhaps I was simply due to experience these issues for myself. 

Yes I have 10.14.6 too and here it works perfect. You will only notice the effect when you do a extreem zoom in in Affinity Photo and click the effect-layer on and off.

When you only use the Topaz Sharpen AI zoom that only gives you 400% zoom you hardly notice it.

Beware that it are very subtle  differences you see, but it should work and you should see it.  

11 minutes ago, All Media Lab said:

You will only notice the effect when you do a extreem zoom in in Affinity Photo and click the effect-layer on and off... Beware that it are very subtle  differences you see, but it should work and you should see it.  

That hasn't quite been my experience with it. When it's working stand-alone (and when it was working previously), the effect can be very obvious for Sharpen / Stabilize / and Focus algorithms, whether zoomed in or not. 

Having said that, however, even when I zoom in via Photo, the plug-in hasn't actually provided the sharpen routine. But Sharpen AI works just fine in stand-alone mode for me. Very strange.

12 minutes ago, All Media Lab said:

Created a screen recording on my Mac with Affinity Photo and Sharpen AI

Unfortunately it doesn't play wile it's a regular MP4 video

Thank you for preparing and uploading it, but unfortunately the video won't play for me. I completely believe Sharpen AI is working for you.

It's a minor annoyance that I can't figure out why this plug-in isn't working for me, as I know others have issues with some of the Topaz Labs plug-ins, as well.

It's unfortunate because whereas I've been doing well at becoming less dependent upon plug-ins, Sharpen AI is one that's actually useful on a semi-regular basis.