You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Milky Way in Affinity Photo

Gianni_S

Hi all,

Here the result of a long night chasing the last milky way for this year.
It is a stack of 42 shots edited in Affinity photo with develop persona, plus other 2 for the foreground and the person (that's me!) shooting light to the universe.
Sky has been stacked in sequator software, than the compositing has been done in AP, with all the fine tune required.
2 little problem found:
- developing raw one by one it takes a long time; a method to apply raw settings  to the entire group would be very usefull
- TIFF exported from AP have something wrong. I faced several errors with them and I don't know why. It seems something well known… (using JPG everything went smooth, but I lost the 16 bit and you know, jpg… bah…)

However, here the final result.
Hope you like it.

Have a great week end, see ya!

G:

AP_5400_F_A.jpg

Edited by Gianni_S

• 1 month later...
14 hours ago, Adam D'Agosto said:

Hi all, I'm trying to figure out if Affinity can do what I need as is. Here is a video where Peter Zelinka describes the process using Photoshop and a plug-in.

"Star Tracker Blending Tutorial - Using Luminosity Masks"
https://youtu.be/x2dVRoyyFrc

Basically, he takes a stacked image of the milky way and merges it with the foreground shot. As you may know, start trackers track the sky so you get clear focused starts, but that blurs the landscape. In this case, he takes two perfect images and merges them together.

What I'd like to know is, can I do this using Affinity Photo? If so, can you point me to a video or text that explains the process. 

Thank you so much in advance!

Gianni_S,

Would you do me a favor please? Could you look at the link I added above and tell me what you think about using Affinity Photo for this purpose. Your image is pretty much what I'm trying to accomplish, but I'd like to get your thoughts. Then also, what additional software would be needed to pull off the image in the video as well as your shot?

Pretty nice stuff! Thank you for posting!!

36 minutes ago, Adam D'Agosto said:

Gianni_S,

Would you do me a favor please? Could you look at the link I added above and tell me what you think about using Affinity Photo for this purpose. Your image is pretty much what I'm trying to accomplish, but I'd like to get your thoughts. Then also, what additional software would be needed to pull off the image in the video as well as your shot?

Pretty nice stuff! Thank you for posting!!

OK Adam, my 2 cent: 
Luminosity masks (ab)used nowadays are totally useless for astrophotography. In the video you poster are used mainly to flatten color discrepancies due to sensore noise (hot pixels, light pollution, lens colo problems and everything you can immagine).
I think  (and I use) only 2 software: Sequator for stacking and Affinity photo for editing. 

For the rest it is only advanced editing and a little bit of technique while shooting.
For the foreground it worth to do some shots and stack them in AP to reduce the noise. You could also experiment HDR with bracketing shooting.
For the sky, I use sequator to stack together al least 40/50 shots using the most popular camera settings (speaking about shutterspeed, ISO and aperture).
Last but not least, instead of luminosity masks, I prefer using channel selections, some tricks that a certain Dan Margulis developed for Photoshop but you can apply them to AP without problems.

• 1 month later...

G'day Gianni 

Congratulations on a fantastic photo. 

I don't know how you know what stars goes where, but the result  speaks for itself. Truly inspirational. 

Have you have any more to share,  as I'm new to this forum and to AP.

I'm so glad to leave Adobe for photo/publishing/design and their pricing policies. 

Havagoodone 

Greg 

On 9/27/2019 at 3:12 PM, Gianni_S said:

- developing raw one by one it takes a long time; a method to apply raw settings  to the entire group would be very usefull

Wonderful picture, Gianni, congratulations! Developing multiple RAWs would be nice in AP, but it's not available, so I do that with Luminar4, which is quite easy to handle and very cheap too.  So my workflow is processing the Ninkon RAWs with Luminar to tiffs, stack them with sequator, develop and compose in AP. Works quite well :-)

Clear skies

Heinz