You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

ipados open file from external disk

Hi

with ipados it is now possible to get an external device in the finder (usb stick or hard drive)  , actually if I want to open a file directly from a hard drive it does not work, there is no way to search in the finder
will you add this very necessary feature soon ?

thanks

• Staff

Hi erickb :)

We believe this is an OS related issue, as Apple have currently removed the option for us to access external drives from within the app.

We're looking to get this resolved asap, in the meantime you can use the drag and drop feature from Files to open your document in Affinity - then after saving the file locally, you can drag and drop the document from the homescreen of the Affinity app onto your external drive in Files!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

1 hour ago, Cecil said:

Catalina should address this, as I understand the Mac reviews.

for ipad not for mac

59 minutes ago, Dan C said:

We believe this is an OS related issue, as Apple have currently removed the option for us to access external drives from within the app.

We're looking to get this resolved asap, in the meantime you can use the drag and drop feature from Files to open your document in Affinity - then after saving the file locally, you can drag and drop the document from the homescreen of the Affinity app onto your external drive in Files!

thanks

1 hour ago, erickb said:

for ipad not for mac

thanks

Finder in Mac or were you specifically addressing Files App?

Cecil 

iMac Retina 5K, 27”, 2019. 3.6 GHz Intel Core 9, 40 GB Memory DDR4, Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB, macOS,iPad Pro iPadOS

Continuous improvement is better than delayed perfection 

40 minutes ago, erickb said:

I call them all Finder (as it should be), but the thread here is  for iPad

Sorry, I just connected the dots with Finder and though (although iPad topic] once Catalina is released/updated, drives will work cross platform and in time, improve iPadIOS storage issues.

Cecil 

iMac Retina 5K, 27”, 2019. 3.6 GHz Intel Core 9, 40 GB Memory DDR4, Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB, macOS,iPad Pro iPadOS

Continuous improvement is better than delayed perfection 

7 hours ago, Dan C said:

Apple has not removed this option , it is possible with Procreate to import from an external drive

• Staff
21 hours ago, erickb said:

I can open Files from external drive with Procreate, Darkroom, and many other apps but not with Affinity Photo or Designer 

Thanks for this information, I was previously quoting one of our developers, so I have forwarded this to them and I'm currently awaiting a response - I'll update this thread with any pertinent info shortly :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

• Staff

Thanks for letting me know, I've been informed this is due to the Xcode version that our app is currently using - we're hoping to upgrade to the latest version shortly and this should allow for access of external drives within the app.

Many thanks for your continued patience here!

Please note -

Many thanks!

• 1 month later...
  • Staff

Hi Jostx,

Welcome to the forums :)

Unfortunately there's been no update for this currently, although we are still planning on implementing this feature.

Please note -

Many thanks!