You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Assets, Brushes, Styles etc.

Hi

Just trying to get some idea on how others work with assets, brushes, styles etc. I think I am falling in to the trap of seeing something in the resources category on the forum and thinking I will install that and see what i can do with it. My understanding is the location of these is fixed and cannot be moved or shared in the c/user\appdata\roaming/affinity\1.0\application-name\user\

I have my laptop and desktop both running windows 10 and both with 250GB SSD drives for the boot C: drive and all 3 applications both latest release and beta i.e. 6 folders plus some that seem to have a backup also,, so the C:\Users\Alan\AppData\Roaming\Affinity\  is starting to grow in size. I also have an affinity resource folder on my one drive where I export assets so I can co-ordinate them across the two machines and the original download files . Do you have a repository and delete and reload as you go along

So how do others deal with this? to you decide which program has certain assets or brushes and not duplicating them i.e. put styles just in Designer and use studio if you need them in publisher? Put vector brushes in designer and raster brushes in photo and use the links to carry out the process in the different application. I cannot imagine how teams manage things like this, i used to think synchronising fonts was bad enough across machines, but at least there are font managers that allow me to use fonts without having to install them from shared locations on my one drive synched folders.

So any good practice or suggestions will be greatly received

Alan Pickup

Windows 11 Home all Affinity suite of Apps PC and Gigabyte Laptop 16gb Ram and Nvidia GTX1660 Super on each.

I’ve got overwhelmed with addons gathered from the forum and few other places to the stage I couldn't decide which brush to use or couldn't find the one I wanted.

Now I keep only my favourite brushes (still a lot), but I changed names for brush sets for more descriptive and exported them to the cloud, so when I import them they will have same and more meaningful names. Nice but not always needed brushes I keep in folders with samples as PDFs. I've also printed samples of the favourite ones.

I install raster brushes in Designer on the go when I work on some project, but tend to switch to Photo for that.

I don't install assets and macros until I need them (I usually create my own on the go). I keep assets in the cloud in folders with with screenshots. 

I'd love to have an option to search brushes by name or being able to add own keywords.

W11, Dell G5, i7, 64GB, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2600, Wacom Intuos Pro M + iPad Pro 2018.
 sakrajda.eu

19 hours ago, Przemysław said:

I’ve got overwhelmed with addons gathered from the forum and few other places to the stage I couldn't decide which brush to use or couldn't find the one I wanted.

Now I keep only my favourite brushes (still a lot), but I changed names for brush sets for more descriptive and exported them to the cloud, so when I import them they will have same and more meaningful names. Nice but not always needed brushes I keep in folders with samples as PDFs. I've also printed samples of the favourite ones.

I install raster brushes in Designer on the go when I work on some project, but tend to switch to Photo for that.

I don't install assets and macros until I need them (I usually create my own on the go). I keep assets in the cloud in folders with with screenshots. 

I'd love to have an option to search brushes by name or being able to add own keywords.

thanks for the reply that seems a sensible way to proceed, not thought of the pdf for samples so will try that.

Alan Pickup

Windows 11 Home all Affinity suite of Apps PC and Gigabyte Laptop 16gb Ram and Nvidia GTX1660 Super on each.