You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Auto-correction in unsupported languages

bArt.y

I use quite an exotic language on my devices - Polish - which belongs to the quite large group of languages unsupported by Affinity. That wouldn’t actually be a problem for me if not the auto-correction feature - which is not synchronized with the system-wide auto-correction, because my system language is Polish and when using text tools Affinity always mark all my Polish words as wrong :(. And again that wouldn’t be a problem (until I do some orthographic mistake) because auto-correction can be easily switched off in text tool settings (Check spelling while typing) but the problem is: if I turn it off in one document, it reverts back on when I close the document and enter it, or any other again.

So the result is: always when I enter a document with text I’m welcomed by unfriendly red squiggly (unless I design something English) :/

I tried using both “English” and “Default” setting in language option in Designer’s settings.

Zrzut ekranu 2019-09-26 o 22.23.47

As a workaround, if Designer for iPad works like Designer for desktop, perhaps you could redefine the Base text style, and change its Character Spelling option to None. Then save that as a new default so it works for new documents.

All other text styles inherit from Base, so as long as you assign some text style to the text you create it won't be spell-checked.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 6 months later...
On 9/27/2019 at 2:04 PM, Gabe said:

Hi @bArt.y

Welcome to the forums. 

We are aware of this and it has already been logged with our developers. 

Thanks,

Gabe. 

Well, after half a year and two big update releases I’m sorry to say that the issue is still there. I just updated to 1.8.3, and just like after updating to 1.8.2, 1.8.0 and 1.7.3 first thing I did Was checking text. I actually got used to the red squiggly, which assists me in every artwork, and sometimes I catch myself treating this angry red as one of project’s palette element which I have to match other colors to… 😭

On 9/27/2019 at 2:39 PM, walt.farrell said:

As a workaround, if Designer for iPad works like Designer for desktop, perhaps you could redefine the Base text style, and change its Character Spelling option to None. Then save that as a new default so it works for new documents.

All other text styles inherit from Base, so as long as you assign some text style to the text you create it won't be spell-checked.

This of course unfortunately doesn’t work since defaults in Designer for iPad does not contain information if “Check spelling” box is checked or not, but thanks for your help.

Hope to see my exotic language as orthographically correct soon… 🤪

Thanks!

• 4 months later...

Just happily updated to 1.8.4.
My favourite bug is still not fixed, despite of developers being aware of it and having it logged ten months ago. 

🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻

• 6 months later...
  • 6 months later...

So, here we are, in 1.10 and almost two years after the bug was reported by me and logged with the developers… but it’s still there of course. I love you too much to care, but hey, it really takes quite a big part of fun of using my favourite app from me ☹️