You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Linked Resource Change Errors on every open of document in v1.7.2

LucasKA

Except nothing has changed. Not the title, location, content.

So after 3 times of manually updating the locations (that haven't changed) in the Resource Manger (that I can't seem to find unless Affinity offers it to me). I'm asking for help.

This is a decent sized project, is there anyway to point to the location for assets as opposed to assign each ones path individually? This has already killed about 2 hours of working time.

Screenshot 2019-09-26 11.47.54.png

15 hours ago, LucasKA said:

So if it's not clear, my questions are:

- How do I re-link assets in bulk, or how do I prevent this issue from ever even happening?

- How do I access Resource Manager when I want to, not just when Affinity Designer thinks it's a good idea?

You relink in bulk by answering Yes when prompted to relink the assets, rather than answering No or Resource Manager. Then when you relink one item any others in the same folder will also be relinked. At least, if it works in Designer as it works in Publisher.

You can't invoke the Resource Manager whenever you want. That's not a function of Designer.

From other topics I've read, you're experiencing a bug where Designer is giving you that message incorrectly, and the resources really are embedded, not linked.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

9 hours ago, LucasKA said:

- How do I access Resource Manager when I want to, not just when Affinity Designer thinks it's a good idea?

You will need Publisher to do that, you could download the trial which will give you 10 days of "control" over your files, which may be long enough if a fix is imminent.

If not, you can then purchase Publisher for another 14 days of "control" before you need to return it for a full refund.

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

• Staff

Hi LucasKA,

There is a known issue that modifying an embedded document inside a file can cause the warning popup to appear when saving and reopening. This is with development to be fixed. As Walt has said the warning appearing with Resource Manager is also incorrect and shouldn't appear. As Walt has said does selecting 'Yes' when warned work?

21 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

You relink in bulk by answering Yes when prompted to relink the assets, rather than answering No or Resource Manager. Then when you relink one item any others in the same folder will also be relinked. At least, if it works in Designer as it works in Publisher.

You can't invoke the Resource Manager whenever you want. That's not a function of Designer.

From other topics I've read, you're experiencing a bug where Designer is giving you that message incorrectly, and the resources really are embedded, not linked.

- Saying yes did nothing, so I resorted to Resource Manager. I don't have Publisher so I have no context on that.

- Sure it is a function of Designer. It might not be public, but it bothers me that it's in but not accessible.

- Maybe I misspoke. I don't know the difference between Embedded and Linked, because the only time that context seems to matter is in the Resource Manager. I drag and drop my images into the .afdesign doc when working.

The long and short, is asset awareness goes wrong for some reason and I needed to manually find them again. Then that manual fix broke and I couldn't access the solution I used before (Resource Manager).

Now ALL my assets are missing, with no prompt from resource manager, and no way to access resource manager.

So I just rolled back to a couple days ago. It's not ideal, and I lost some work, but of course these happen at a time where I have a deadline :D

12 hours ago, carl123 said:

You will need Publisher to do that, you could download the trial which will give you 10 days of "control" over your files, which may be long enough if a fix is imminent.

If not, you can then purchase Publisher for another 14 days of "control" before you need to return it for a full refund.

Why are these two products coupled is the bigger question. Why do I only have granular control over my assets with a secondary software package? That's some Adobe movement right there.

10 hours ago, Sean P said:

Hi LucasKA,

There is a known issue that modifying an embedded document inside a file can cause the warning popup to appear when saving and reopening. This is with development to be fixed. As Walt has said the warning appearing with Resource Manager is also incorrect and shouldn't appear. As Walt has said does selecting 'Yes' when warned work?

Appreciate it. If it happens again, I'll screen capture the flow. I can't remember exactly the order of operations for the current state of my document.