You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How do i find percentage of any given colour?

Your color chooser is not locked. This might be the difference.

Next, it could depend on the active tool (hand, move, shapes, pen, brushes). You have a new file (no layer, or master page which might contain an RGB color mode object), and move tool. I intentionally have chosen the shape tool.

The color panel is highly context-sensitive, and for me one of the most un-intuitive tools to use - even before going to gradients, gradient tool, gradient maps, 32 bit mode color tools.

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

12 hours ago, thomaso said:

Can you show a screencast? – In mine* it obviously doesn't work but insists to create RGB tint swatches from a CMYK colour.

It is just that macOS versions of Affinity apps are in many ways quite buggy in the color UI (not that it is good on Windows versions, either):

Other anomalies (also shown on the clip) are that macOS does not display the global state of the color on the Tint panel (here it does for CMYK but not for the other modes, sometimes not even for CMYK); often an assignment to global and non-global color (with same values) is not retained (sometimes it appears to be a screen refresh issue, but most often assignments really do not "take").

I am not sure if the display issues are in any way related to the actual issue. The global assignments nevertheless show on the Swatches panel here. The tints are simply just always RGBs on macOS, as you mentioned. On Windows the source color model is honored.

The video was created using sRGB document color mode, but it does not play any role here so the behavior is identical also when using CMYK document color mode. It also does not make any difference whether you use global or non-global color assignments in the first place (or any swatch assignment, at all): on Windows it works on macOS it does not.

EDIT: Having the lock switched on or off also does not seem to make any difference (neither on Windows or macOS), but it of course makes the initial switch of the color model behave differently (and then on both platforms).

1 hour ago, lacerto said:

The tints are simply just always RGBs on macOS

That's not the behaviour I'm seeing on my macOS machine. So I'm with @NotMyFault here. No problems with adding tint chords in CMYK colors.

The only difference I noticed is that if I'm adding color chord straight from Color panel — in that case chords added as RGB colors. And if I create a swatch first (global or not) and create a color chord from it (in Swatches panel) — then it will honor its color mode and create proper CMYK chords.

image.png.d3887e6feb135b125e2c658627041d53.png

7 minutes ago, Alex M said:

That's not the behaviour I'm seeing on my macOS machine.

Interesting. I wonder if this could be an OS version or chip related issue. I tested this on Monterey 12.6 using M1. And oh yes, with Publisher.

EDIT: I just tested and the behavior is the same even when creating without any swatch at all, directly from the color panel values.

5 minutes ago, lacerto said:

I wonder if this could be an OS version or chip related issue.

I'm on Monterey 12.6 as well, just on Intel based iMac. Latest Publisher 1.10.5. As far as I know, NotMyFault is using M1 machine so we can quite rule this chip related thing out as both of you are on M1 machines.

2 minutes ago, Alex M said:

I'm on Monterey 12.6 as well, just on Intel based iMac. Latest Publisher 1.10.5. As far as I know, NotMyFault is using M1 machine so we can quite rule this chip related thing out as both of you are on M1 machines.

Yes, and it seems also the OS and older Intel machines, since Thomaso is experiencing this issue, as well. I just tested Designer and Photo, and same problem there (always RGB tints). Tested both RGB and CMYK document color modes, no difference.

I am not sure if I did it similarly as you but it does not seem to help. I created swatches from displayed values and they show clearly the active source color models. 

It could be some preference setting but I tried turning off all acceleration, even using Software rendering, but no joy. The next step would probably be resetting ell Affinity settings but it does not seem to be the key as I am experiencing this with all three apps (they all are the latest 1.x versions). 

@lacerto And what if you try to add tint chord from Swatches panel? Try selecting newly created color swatch in Swatches panel and then create tint chord (via the same icon at the top of the panel or by right clicking the swatch). In your video I noticed that you always creating tint chords from Color panel. Try Swatches panel this time.

4 hours ago, Alex M said:

by right clicking the swatch

Here too. 👍 Thank you!

Has anyone an idea how this happens? Assuming the command to create a chord is in both panels the same the difference would be in the condition, the color definition. This seems to mean that in Affinity a colour swatch can have a different definition than its corresponding colour well in the colour panel, even if represented by the correct slider / range … ?

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1