You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How do i find percentage of any given colour?

• Staff

Hi Pete :)

This depends, do you need 80% black in a CMKY, RGB or Greyscale colour space?

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

I have hidden my previous answer because of incorrect data in the screenshot.
In the RGB sliders dialog you need to add 20% (white) to get 80% black.

Affinity Photo  2.3.1

Laptop MSI Prestige PS42
Windows 11 Home 23H2 (Build 22631.3007) - Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8565U CPU @ 1.80GHz   2.00 GHz - RAM 16,0 GB

Sorry, @HVDB Photography, but that video doesn't make sense to me. You made the fill RGB 20,20,20 and the Color panel agrees with that. Then you used the color picker which showed that it's RGB 51,51,51 and the Info panel agrees.

It can't be both, so why are both sets of values showing up? I don't get that. Everything on my copy of Photo agrees that 20,20,20 is 20,20,02 and nothing thinks it's 51,51,51.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Thanks, thomaso. I guess I had never noticed the percentage option for the Color panel, which apparently also controls the display for the panel associated with the Fill, too. That explains my confusion.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

6 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Thanks, thomaso. I guess I had never noticed the percentage option for the Color panel, which apparently also controls the display for the panel associated with the Fill, too. That explains my confusion.

Understandable... it's indeed confusing

Affinity Photo  2.3.1

Laptop MSI Prestige PS42
Windows 11 Home 23H2 (Build 22631.3007) - Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8565U CPU @ 1.80GHz   2.00 GHz - RAM 16,0 GB

• 3 years later...

I want to reanimate that thread.
In "other softwares" ;-) I had been able to take from any colour swatch 0 – 100% of its density (not opacity!). And this in RGB as well as in CMYK (preferably).
That's easy with 50% yellow. But If I have a colour 0 - 100 - 79 - 20 (CMYK), where in Affinity Publisher can I chose "35%" of that colour? (Please NOT by mathematics! and not by estimation!)

Thanks for help!

Johannes

First, create a global color. Then use the color chooser set to „tint“ and 35%

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

1 hour ago, jweitzel said:

If I have a colour 0 - 100 - 79 - 20 (CMYK), where in Affinity Publisher can I chose "35%" of that colour?

It appears it was the initial topic opener himself who answered this question … 3 years before you came to ask 😉

On 9/27/2019 at 1:05 PM, Gigatronix Pete said:

i ended up using the tint option in the colour panel (top right of the screen) & that seemed to work ok!

Supplement, just in case: Unfortunately, the Colours Panel displays only either tint % –  or cmyk values … and, in case you'll use the option to create tint swatches they don't get named and created as tints (tint of xy) but as separate, independent swatches … and, even worse, in RGB colour space. – What a weirdness!

403354684_colourtints1.jpg.70da930f086aad2f52c47fc68bcd7886.jpg  –>  1953376220_colourtints2.jpg.f14828751571e4f9063b4e0377d6b12e.jpg

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

You  can create global colors in cmyk. No need to use rgb. Tint should be used with global colors.

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

17 hours ago, NotMyFault said:

You  can create global colors in cmyk. No need to use rgb. Tint should be used with global colors.

Hm? – To use tints (as slider interface) you don't need global colours: Just create the wanted CMYK, switch to tints and choose the wanted tints. Works with global, too, but global isn't required for tints. Or did you refer to the fact that a global color gets automatically displayed with a tint slider while others can show sliders according to their color space? Yes, from this perspective global has an advantage for the use of tints. – But wouldn't you want to have tint swatches, too, for faster recall of the tints in repetitive assignment?

My mentioned problem is the tint swatches, generated by Affinity's "Add Chord …" option. This not only generates independent swatches that aren't tints any more, it also creates them as RGB – which, in my eyes, makes this function quite useless in even two ways.

EDIT: I removed the screencast because it showed an issue with global swatches not updating as selected in the swatch panel. This would confuse more than illustrate my actual problem. I'll record a new clip tomorrow and post it here.

EDIT: see video below

As workarounds, for RGB or CMYK colors see the hex values for colors from 0 – 100%, which can be copied over ...

In Affinity RGB colors can be shown/setup with RGB percentage sliders. - For CMYK you would probably have to do a math input into the value fields accordingly, aka for 50% of the shown color value then type in C*0,5; M*0,5; ... etc.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

Well, I have to apologize myself reawakeneing that theme! I didn't realize, that in order to choose a certain tint I have to go with the mouse into a certain menue! ... I googled that problem after yours answeres and found, that other persons have that difficulty, too – and found a gif animation, which showed it to me. OMG... That's a little akward.

Thanks to you all – espezially to "tomaso" who pinpointed that inconvenience and other aspects in the UI of AFPub.

Johannes

11 hours ago, thomaso said:

Hm? – To use tints (as slider interface) you don't need global colours: Just create the wanted CMYK, switch to tints and choose the wanted tints. Works with global, too, but global isn't required for tints. Or did you refer to the fact that a global color gets automatically displayed with a tint slider while others can show sliders according to their color space? Yes, from this perspective global has an advantage for the use of tints. – But wouldn't you want to have tint swatches, too, for faster recall of the tints in repetitive assignment?

My mentioned problem is the tint swatches, generated by Affinity's "Add Chord …" option. This not only generates independent swatches that aren't tints any more, it also creates them as RGB – which, in my eyes, makes this function quite useless in even two ways.

EDIT: I removed the screencast because (...)

Here is the updated video to the problem of Tint Swatches. Aside of being a different color space + not being linked as tints of their parent swatch they also don't get its property of being global. They are "just a set of swatches" with a possibly similar colour appearance.

I would expect a Tint Swatch as a child of its 100% swatch, in the same colour space of course.
For Tint Swatches created by a global color I'd expect accordingly to be global, too, and thus change their colours if its parent swatch definition gets changed.

If tints are assigned via the tints slider only (without swatches) than the currently displayed values in the colour sliders & fields are simply wrong and feel buggy this way. If the sliders & fields do not represent the actual values, then it seems at least necessary to indicate in the colour panel that these are tints, just as a 'tint marker' at least, or as a possibly reduced opacity is directly visible in this panel already. (actually, is there a technical reason that the tint slider is not near the opacity slider?)

1 hour ago, jweitzel said:

I would not go so far to demand "dynamic" colour swatches if generated automatically.

This sounds it's possible to generate global linked "Tint Swatches" manually / by the user. – Did you find a way?

On Mac, I find that using

1. swatches 
  2. global colors
  3. use the swatches right-mouse-click "edit" button an set the color mode to CMYC sliders

will keep the global colors in CMYK mode.

If you choose "create color cord / tint", it will create CMYK tint swatches tabled with CMYK color values.

It is important to set the correct color input toCMYK. Thera are so many color input panels that it is difficult to use the correct one (color panel, big color panel after double-click, swatches, swatches>edit fill, ....

Just open the big color chooser by double-clicking the regular color chooser, and set it and keep it in CMYK mode.

Never the less, in all 3 apps (Publisher, Designer, Photo) I had no issues to create CMYK global colors, and keep them in CMYK mode even while editing the values. I checked this by using 100% in all 4 CMYK channels. You cannot create this color by converting from RGB.

On 9/26/2019 at 1:44 PM, Gigatronix Pete said:

Hello 

My boss just asked me to create some using 80% black  ...how do i find this please?

Pete

So the basic way would be to

1. Select the base color
  2. set the color input mode to "tint"
  3. adjust the tint slider to 80%

(works in any color mode, in all 3 apps on desktop. Does not work on iPad as iPad lacks tint input mode for colors).

33 minutes ago, NotMyFault said:

If you choose "create color cord / tint", it will create CMYK tint swatches tabled with CMYK color values.

Can you show a screencast? – In mine* it obviously doesn't work but insists to create RGB tint swatches from a CMYK colour.
* swatch creation at the beginning / CMYK check at 1:24 min.

Also reports from 2015 – 2019 about unexpected colour spaces of Chord Swatches got logged as bugs / tagged as AFD-881 / AFD-890 and afd-3236:

Here you go

Thanks! @NotMyFault Good to know. – But I can't make it work. Can you detect the mistake in my workflow?
Also, because you mentioned it literally: Is there any specific difference for this situation (or for any colour setting) in the use of the large Colour Chooser window toolbar? To me it does not enable us to create any colour that can't get created with the smaller Colours Panel, too.