You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Edit image -> Wrong Persona?

First of all I have all three applications installed. There is a placed image in Publisher, select it and hit the Edit Image button. What I want to do is clear: I want to edit the image. The Persona stays on Publisher instead of switching to Photo Persona.

Another thing I want to repeat what I have said is, that when in Photo Persona the layers the images has (not being in edit mode), are not shown. And that is a pity. Simple example: There is an image with some coloured cables and some extra layers where the colour of cables is changed. How nice it would be to show / hide the layers in the Photo Persona to have only one image instead of two versions of the same image. Hmm, hope this is understandable? I am pretty confident there is already a way to do what I want, but haven't found it yet.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

For your first point: Yes, it's clear that you want to edit the embedded document. But it may not be obvious to the program what Persona you want to use. For me, there are things I might want to do to it, as a separate document, in all 3 Personas. So to me it seems appropriate to stay in the Publisher Persona and let me choose which one to switch to next. Possibly the developers had the same quandary, given that different users will have different expectations.

For your second point. Sorry, but I don't understand what you're saying. I think you start out wanting the Photo Persona to be able to show the layers of the embedded document when you haven't opened it for separate editing. But then I get lost when you're talking about seeing only one image rather than the two versions of the same image.

Can you provide some more details, or possibly a screenshot showing that one image vs two images problem?

To your point that the Photo Persona doesn't show the layers: An embedded document is a single layer as far as the program is concerned. It's like Placing a JPG/PNG/TIFF gives you a (Image) layer. That's a kind of vector layer without structure (no pixels) and an embedded document is much the same way. It acts as a picture of the original, without any internal structure.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

But it may not be obvious to the program what Persona you want to use.

Why should I work with vector tools on a bitmap? When I want to edit an image I would expect to work with a bitmap application.

An embedded document is a single layer as far as the program is concerned.

That is a pity really. Maybe I am only seeing the benefits if it would be else? So I will try to explain better.

It is more like the Indesign approach, where you can switch on / off layers of a PSD file. I know that it is old school to have several layers in a single image file. If this is rubbish, I don't mind: I know now how it works with Affinity. Maybe I worked too long with Adobe products, old habits are hard to break. Everything fine here, thank you for your everlasting support. :D

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

4 hours ago, Joachim_L said:

Why should I work with vector tools on a bitmap? When I want to edit an image I would expect to work with a bitmap application.

Affinity documents are never bitmaps, not even in Photo.

They are by nature vector-based documents, which may happen to contain raster data as some or all of their layers.

Sorry, this is nit-picking. I can open an .afdesign in Affinity Photo, so we have now what by nature? Raster or raster with some vector? 

Whatever, I think current behaviour of Publisher is wrong and obviously so am I.

Thx for your comment.

------

Generally I would expect that a .afdesign document will be more vector than raster, and a .afphoto document will be more raster than vector. But both applications can produce mixes, as we all know.

I might, in fact, have a raster document in Photo to which I want to add some text on a path, which is a Designer function.

So, in theory, I might have a .afphoto file embedded in a Publisher document, and want to use Edit Document and then add text on a path. That would be a function of either the Publisher Persona or the Designer Persona, but not of the Photo Persona.

I do think your idea has some merit, Joachim. I'm simply not convinced that automatically switching to the Photo Persona when editing an embedded JPG/PNG/TIFF/.afphoto file will be correct often enough to actually save me work. But I suppose it might be. Similarly, for editing an embedded EPS/SVG/whatever file, switching to the Designer Persona might be reasonable some of the time.

Perhaps it could be optional. Probably for an embedded PDF staying in the Publisher Persona would be best.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

I prefer to leave the switching of the persona to a deliberate user decision. I would be annoyed if it switches for me when I don’t want it to, and I also expect it might confuse people who do not notice that the persona has switched.

(On that latter point, the suggestion that was made a few weeks ago about distinguishing the different apps and personas with a different splash of color would be of some help.)