You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Get CPU/GPU usage under control, please

• Staff

Hi deeds,

I'm not suggesting any of the things you're saying. I was simply asking if you'd try something out for me and tell me if it fixes the problem you're seeing, that's all - I just simply wanted to know and I'm trying to help you. Other people are not coming forward saying they have this problem. This doesn't mean the problem isn't real, it means that you're the only person I've spoken to about the problem and I'm trying to get as much information as possible about it from you so I can look at it.

For reference, as I said earlier, changing Affinity Designer to use the integrated GPU should make essentially no difference to the apparent performance of the application - we use only a small amount of hardware for presentation of the document's render so you shouldn't even notice a difference. My laptop shows no noticeable difference running integrated or discreet. If yours is showing a very marked difference in performance then something is wrong somewhere - not necessarily with our application. All of the heavy work is done on CPU no matter what option you've chosen and we're asking to draw a few hundred primitives to the screen which even a 1990s GPU would've excelled at, so if your integrated GPU is chugging at that then there is a problem...

Thanks again,

Matt

Pan and zoom remain somewhat performant in Integrated mode...

And, yes, you are suggesting using the integrated GPU. Exactly the thing I'm concerned about, you're doing. Rather than optimising the app for higher performance, you're asking users to compromise for the sake of the background efficiency.

perfTest.afdesign Select and move one of these objects.

• Staff
9 hours ago, deeds said:

And, yes, you are suggesting using the integrated GPU. Exactly the thing I'm concerned about, you're doing. Rather than optimising the app for higher performance, you're asking users to compromise for the sake of the background efficiency.

As I've already said that is exactly what I am not asking you to do: I am asking you to test it for me to let me know if it solved your energy usage issue. This is to help me look into the problem. This is because I don't have any other users with the problem so I'm having to ask you to help me.

I have suggested to you that I personally don't think you should see a difference in the performance of Designer irrespective of what GPU it is running on so I'd just run it on the integrated GPU if I was experiencing your problem. This does not mean that we have now said 'there is no problem!' and it does not in any way imply that we will not look at what is going on with your energy usage when it's using the discreet GPU.

I hope that is sufficient information :)

Matt

10 hours ago, deeds said:

asking users to compromise

He is asking you to switch temporarily in order to see how it impacts the energy usage in an effort to isolate where the problem is.  He is not trying to imply that this is the final solution.

Rather than waste a zillion posts complaining about something that isn't there, consider helping him to help you...

1 hour ago, fde101 said:

He is asking you to switch temporarily in order to see how it impacts the energy usage in an effort to isolate where the problem is.  He is not trying to imply that this is the final solution.

Rather than waste a zillion posts complaining about something that isn't there, consider helping him to help you...

that has already been done. Try to keep up.

2 hours ago, MattP said:

As I've already said that is exactly what I am not asking you to do: I am asking you to test it for me to let me know if it solved your energy usage issue. This is to help me look into the problem. This is because I don't have any other users with the problem so I'm having to ask you to help me.

I have suggested to you that I personally don't think you should see a difference in the performance of Designer irrespective of what GPU it is running on so I'd just run it on the integrated GPU if I was experiencing your problem. This does not mean that we have now said 'there is no problem!' and it does not in any way imply that we will not look at what is going on with your energy usage when it's using the discreet GPU.

I hope that is sufficient information :)

Matt

For the third time, in various forms... yes... it's the discrete GPU.

As to everyone else, it's unlikely they're working in such a way as to notice this. They probably have Affinity Designer in the foreground most of the time and/or not using other apps that heavily rely on the GPU in a way that's easy to detect when something backgrounded is impeding GPU performance.

The game I'm working on is particularly frame rate sensitive, otherwise I'd probably not notice it, either. It's its performance degradation when Affinity Designer is backgrounded that caused me to notice this odd behaviour.

There are a couple of oddities. I'm using 10.13.6 with all updates

And running at 2880 x1800.