smadell

Graphic Novel Effect

Based on a recent thread started by user Steps, I have finalized and am attaching a macro called "Graphic Novel Effect." It is similar to the "Paint by Numbers" macro I created a while back, but offers better control of the black outlines that are needed in a cartoon or a graphic novel illustration.

The attached file is a macros category (not a single macro) and can be imported through the Affinity Photo Library panel. Once inside Affinity Photo, the category contains a single macro which can be moved into a different category (by dragging it) if desired. Since it is provided as a category, it can also be imported into the iPad version of AP.

When you use the macro, it creates a number of layers inside a group (which can be turned on and off to show or hide the effect entirely). The user is presented with 5 options in a dialog:

1) Posterize - How Many Colors?

The macro is preset to 5 color levels, but anywhere between 4 and 6 generally gives a decent result.

2) Outlines - Adjust Black [line thickness]

This option is preset to 50%, but changing the value will make the black outlines more or less prominent.

3) Outlines - Adjust White [fill smoothness]

This option is preset to 90%. Changing the value will affect the fill (inside the outlines). Keep the value above the value set in option #2 (line thickness).

4) Finish - Adjust the Brightness

5) Finish - Adjust the Contrast

These are preset to Brightness = -15% and Contrast = +30%. Changes made here will have the obvious results, and should be considered a finishing touch.

As always, I am one person with one computer and have not tested this in every possible scenario. Try it and, if you like it, keep it and enjoy it. This forum has provided me with so many good ideas and answers to questions; this macro is another attempt to “pay it forward.”

Graphic Novel Effect.afmacros

@smadell Wow, thank you.

I'm impressed how complex this macro is.

In my opinion this is the best cartoon effect macro so far seen in this forum. At least a one where

Compared to the other suggestions how to achieve this effect this one has the cleanest result and is the best starting point for manual work.

According to @Callum this may be the most you get out of Affinity as long as artistic filters are in the making.

Here is my result:

graphic_novel_effect_macro.thumb.jpg.1fed18e3e5b43f0aeb02ff180751575c.jpg

And this is what I want to achieve some day with Affinity Photo as a basic result (filter #1):

screen_cartoonizer_effect_1.thumb.jpg.01c18d371c85aac8a343f2e6685b7b85.jpg

And after having reviewed many many photo filter tools this one is simply the best (filter #4):

screen_cartoonizer_effect_4.thumb.jpg.ed667c675b69c0b9754da1e65e7ed29c.jpg

After studying your macro I can only imagine how much work must go into developing this filter.

In fact that company even started a new tool just for this one filter.

But as stated in another thread this FXCartoonizer desktop tool is very slow, instable and has no options.
It just has one really good algorithm for one effect.

I hope Serif finds a way to provide a filter going in that direction with more manual control. This would be soo awesome for everyone here looking after cartoon effects.

Many tools have even bader "cartoon filter" than what's possible with Affinity Photo.

I laughed as I saw that one of the paid tools has a filter called "Neon" which is just edge detection. :D

My conclusion so far is that many tools advertise the amount of filters, but 90% of those filters just change white balance or colors and are therefore useless.

Really good filters that make a difference to a photo are rarely seen.

On a site note I'm not very sure about the "cartoon effect" because some other tools call it "oil painting" - looks similar, but not that good.

---

This is the original photo:

steps_test_image.jpg

Windows 10 Pro x64 (1903). Intel Core i7-9700K @ 3.60GHz, 32 GB memory, NVidia RTX 2080
Affinity Photo 1.7.2.471, Affinity Designer 1.7.2.471, Affinity Publisher 1.7.2.471

@smadell Thank you for this effect. Looks pretty good.

@Steps I looked at the Cartoonize site but couldn't make sense of their product offerings. What is the difference between the various versions?

@Hilltop :D

Yes, totally confusing. I already mailed them for clarification but still no answer.

"FX Cartoonizer" seems to be the latest product. I use that for my photos.

Don't ask me why they sell it in Bundle with the precursor product. That makes no sense.

It's really crappy software overall. It's just this filter effect #4 they got right.

Windows 10 Pro x64 (1903). Intel Core i7-9700K @ 3.60GHz, 32 GB memory, NVidia RTX 2080
Affinity Photo 1.7.2.471, Affinity Designer 1.7.2.471, Affinity Publisher 1.7.2.471

22 hours ago, Steps said:

It's really crappy software overall. It's just this filter effect #4 they got right.

:) I agree, it gives a nice effect.