You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Make a child layer on ipad

I am following a tut for desktop affinity designer and making spots on the body of a giraffe.   Some of the spots have to overlap the body shape in order to become partial spots.   the tut tells me to select a spot and double tap one the layer and then drag below the body layer and slightly right to make a child layer so that the portion of the spot that was outside the body disappears.   Whatever I do I cannot make a child layer using this method in ipad.   I have looked at the Affinity Designer Tut for layers and a child layer is mentioned and appears but it is a pixel layer he painted on.   Can anyone guide me how to do this as i have searched tuts and can find nothing to explain how to do this on ipad.    Wish they worked the same.   Had a problem last night with arranging patterns around a circle - again a tut for desktop - showing a handle to move which does not appear on ipad.   Finally managed it by moving the turn.   Anyway any help would be appreciated with my giraffe spots!

Welcome to the Serif Affinity Forums, Carole. :)

On iPad the clipping/nesting position is indicated by a horizontal blue line across the middle of the target layer, like this:

A766D05C-0822-42CD-B5FB-EBDF66955374.thumb.jpeg.46803c0d79f1ff86c9e14494b80ef659.jpeg

In the above example, dragging the image layer onto the rectangle layer results in the image being clipped to the rectangle:

56EC5E93-2E5E-400A-9D81-7ED3C189604F.thumb.jpeg.88691826d6535a4273bbaa0cd4bd142e.jpeg

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)