You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Problem to close curves

3 hours ago, Gear maker said:

Combine first 2 curves by selecting both then click on the Join Curves in the Node Tool's Action menu and then the Close curves.  I think that's what you are after.

That is what I did. But this leads -depending on the selection I start with - either to the above sample image 3 or 5. Means: There are 2 or 3 additional connections that connect the curve segments! I tried to cut them out or to remove the last point of the curve-segments. Nothing helped!

I tried reverse curve' as well - did not help either!

It looks like Affinity does not join adjacent end-points of the curves but the distant ones...

To make the process more clear that led to the problem:2019-09-25_21-51-49-822.thumb.png.e98b2c7853a68fab8a0142b0480423df.png

I started drawing at point 1 and drew my curve till 2. There I broke (without intent) the curve and was not able to attach to the same curve again. So the curve 2 to 3 is in an own segment. This segment broke again in point 3. I have no idea what I did then - but 3t o 4 is in the _same curve as 1 to 2_! When I arrived at 4 I tried to join it to 1 in order to get a closed curve. Those two however did not join correctly - they are still 2 different points. I then proceeded to the eye (5) and this is in the same curve too. However: This time the joining of start and end worked - this is a shape (closed curve).

The breathing hole in the nose is an own curve again. This too is a shape (closed curve).

My main problem is, that I need to color that image... And this will not work the way it is now...

TerraD, do you have separate curves (each layer says Curve) or combined curves (each layer says Curves)?  If you have Curves use the Divide to separate the individual curves.  So you will have 5 layers, the circle, the 1 to 2, the 3 to 4, the eye and the curve (not shown) that will go from 3 to 2.  If there is a breathing hole, nostril?, which isn't shown that would be a 6th layer.

So you need to close points 1 and 4.  Select the two layers that contains these points and click Join Curves.  This should add a path between these points and the two layers will become one so you will have one less layer in the layer panel.  Now the curve 2 to 3 is not showing in this last drawing.  I'm assuming you still have this.  We'll call it curve A.

I'm not sure what you mean by "but 3t o 4 is in the _same curve as 1 to 2_! "  Are you meaning the missing curve A (which would fit in 3 to 2 I would guess) is the same as the muzzle portion of the 1 to 2 curve.  If so you can just copy the 1 to 2 curve, delete any unwanted nodes like the ears, neck and eyebrow from the copy, shift it further left.

So you will want to connect point 3 with one end of A and the other end of A to point 2.   Select curve A and curve 2 to 3 (the only 2 open curves) click on Join Curves and it will close the break between the closest end node of A to the closest end node of 2 to 3.  Which would probably connect node 3 to the top node in curve A.  Then click Close Curve which will connect the bottom end node of A to 2 to 3.

FYI if you are using the pen tool and happen to break the curve where you didn't want to.  Go into the node tool and click on the last node created, then go into the pen tool and it will continue the same curve.  Conversely if you click on the first node of the curve with the node tool the pen will start adding nodes from that point.  So you could have added a node before point 1 if you had wanted.

iMac (27-inch, Late 2009) with macOS Sierra

Thank you for the explanation! Well done - I was able to join my curve as I had wanted to do! One Segment was a curve the other a combination of curves. I divided it and had additionally (I think not mentioned in your text) to break up segments 1..2 and 3..4. Then I was able to join them as wanted!

I left the rotten file in place, so that I can redo this process a few times until I can handle such situations with perfection!

The most valuable hint (I tediously created a copy of the dog outline last night, as the project needed to be done by today - so that problem was solved for my project anyway) was probably your FYI - because now I know how I can avoid the problem in future! Thank you for this support!

TerraD, FYI I should have mentioned this earlier but if you are already in the pen tool then pressing and holding cmd (I am assuming ctrl in windows) will temporarily place you in the node tool as long as the key is down.  So you can use that instead of going switching to the node tool to click on the end node in the path.

Thank you! A very good hint. I did not knew it¨!

Affinity's UI is always a bit complicated for me. I suppose this is due to the fact I have no Illustrator knowledge. Suppose it would help to know a professional illustration or photo manipulation tool in order to understand all that beautiful functions!

I only do this as a hobby and always had great respect during the last 20 years of people mastering tools like Illustrator and PS. But when Serif stopped Draw I realized I would need to take the step to some professional tool... I do not regret that, but it takes me now often clearly longer and causes me to curse more to create a distinguishable better result.... :-)

Personally I find the Affinity applications to be much more intuitive than the Adobe products.  So it's a great one to start on, in my opinion.  The Adobe product always seems like everything is an add-on after it was created, which basically is the case.  But as with any software there is always something to be learned and the forum is an excellent source of info.  Always feel free to ask questions.  Someone will have an answer.  It's a hobby with me also.