You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[Forum] This new „tooltip“ is driving me crazy!

I see the pictures too, no problem. My comment refers to the necessity to click thread links twice, before the linking happens. But I never ever saw a browser/forum/site (including the ones, I have built), which displays hover content on tapping, and, believe me, Safari is no exception.

But this is a quite pointless discussion. Let‘s wait some days/weeks, until iPadOS is more widely spread, and we certainly will discuss this with much, much more users! :)

Once again, this is an Apple change for Safari on iPadOS. While the previous link was a user responding to a different post in a different forum, here it is "from the horse's mouth" as it were, from Apple's WWDC19 session on "Desktop-class Browsing on iPad"

(from the transcript of session 203 - https://developer.apple.com/videos/play/wwdc2019/203/?time=1377)

"The user can tap a second time if they wanted to click." 

While anything is possible about future changes, this is a definitive statement from Apple: if you're using the "desktop class browsing" on iPadOS 13+ and the website implements hover and link on the same element, you're going to have to tap twice.

https://bmb.photos | Focus: The unexpected, the abstract, the extreme on screen, paper, & other physical outputTools: macOS (Primary: Ventura, MBP2018), Canon (Primary: 5D3), iPhone (Primary: 14PM), Nikon Film Scanners, Epson Printers

• Staff

I suspect it depends on the size of your iPad too. If portrait is using the mobile site and landscape is using the desktop site then you would only experience this new behaviour with one orientation. it may be that on some ipads that both orientations show the desktop site (with this new behaviour exposed).

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

3 hours ago, Brad Brighton said:

Once again, this is an Apple change for Safari on iPadOS. While the previous link was a user responding to a different post in a different forum, here it is "from the horse's mouth" as it were, from Apple's WWDC19 session on "Desktop-class Browsing on iPad"

(from the transcript of session 203 - https://developer.apple.com/videos/play/wwdc2019/203/?time=1377)

"The user can tap a second time if they wanted to click." 

While anything is possible about future changes, this is a definitive statement from Apple: if you're using the "desktop class browsing" on iPadOS 13+ and the website implements hover and link on the same element, you're going to have to tap twice.

Thank you, @Brad Brighton, for your „once again“. Now I see, what you mean! :)
So the reason for this behaviour is not, that iPads now request the desktop site/breakpoint, but the fact, that mobile Safari now tries to visualize hover effects.

On 9/26/2019 at 4:27 AM, mac_heibu said:

Thank you, @Brad Brighton, for your „once again“. Now I see, what you mean! :)
So the reason for this behaviour is not, that iPads now request the desktop site/breakpoint, but the fact, that mobile Safari now tries to visualize hover effects.

My IPad Pro 10.5, updated to IPadIOS 13.1, opens with just one click.  I experience the same one click, no tooltips, when I open a thread using Safari.  I attached a screen shot of my settings.

11438544-D375-4D2A-8205-2370D65FA084.png

Cecil 

iMac Retina 5K, 27”, 2019. 3.6 GHz Intel Core 9, 40 GB Memory DDR4, Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB, macOS,iPad Pro iPadOS

Continuous improvement is better than delayed perfection