You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

>> DO I DO THAT FROM INSIDE PROGRAM I’M NOW USING OR DO I DOWNLOAD IT TO MY DESKTOP AND IMPORT MY PREVIOUS WORK INTO IT?

All Affinity beta versions work as a separate app of their own, a beta has no connection to your installed retail version. (unless registration/serial no.)

A document saved in this beta  1.8.0.499 is not fully compatible to the current retail 1.7.x, means if you open & save your current document with this beta you will not be able to open it again with the retail version. That is why Patrick told you to copy your document before you use v499 on it.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

57 minutes ago, WJC said:

Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything

If you are old, fast can be everything if you will not live to see accuracy.

57 minutes ago, WJC said:

DO I DO THAT FROM INSIDE PROGRAM I’M NOW USING OR DO I DOWNLOAD IT TO MY DESKTOP AND IMPORT MY PREVIOUS WORK INTO IT?

Ouch. ;-) (Be nice. Do not insult, harass, or "SHOUT") We think, that you could solve the problem without the beta. You cannot download from APu (which is not AP). You can download it from here / there.

All the best!

1 hour ago, thomaso said:

A document saved in this beta  1.8.0.499 is not fully compatible to the current retail 1.7.x, means if you open & save your current document with this beta you will not be able to open it again with the retail version.

For that reason, if in the 1.8.x beta you try to open an existing Affinity document created in any Affinity app, release version 1.7.x or older, you get a warning like this:

575659689_betaopeningwarning.jpg.568f581ae42a229b4f9b9b8870a50858.jpg

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

2 hours ago, WJC said:

Finally, as George Bernard Shaw put it, we are two peoples separated by a “common language.” For example, I have been challenged not to “call out” a single member of the Serif staff. Boy, I sure hope that “calling out” means something different in the UK than it does in The States.

FWIW, "call out" can mean any of several different things. See for example the American English definition for "Call out" in the online Macmillan dictionary.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

21 hours ago, WJC said:

Finally, as George Bernard Shaw put it, we are two peoples separated by a “common language.” For example, I have been challenged not to “call out” a single member of the Serif staff. Boy, I sure hope that “calling out” means something different in the UK than it does in The States.

The two definitions are much closer in meaning than the phrase "knock-up" on either side of the Atlantic.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Like it or not, I guess I’m am going to have to wait.

As I have looked back over the last few posts on the forum and direct email messages, I see:

— I can download the new v499 (beta)

— It probably has the problem I’m dealing with corrected

— However, that correction cannot be taken into the current retail program

— Thus, I see no practical solution to my problem and I don’t have time to play and experiment

— Does anyone know when the official release of v499 will be?

Well, I can't wait forever, like I did for the original release, so I guess I will have to do everything manually. I would have thought that auto-repagination would have been a no-brainer for the “InDesign killer.” I’m glad this book is just over 100 pages.

• Staff

Serif have not even started testing Mac or iPad builds of 1.8.0 Affinity Designer or 1.8.0 Affinity Photo, and the suite has to be released a complete set for file compatibility reasons.

1.8.0 is many weeks (perhaps even some months) away from launch.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

Attached is a screenshot from my “section manager.” In it, you will see the “front matter” is to run from page 1-10 in with Roman numerals. ‘Fact is it SHOULD go through “xiii.” It seems, however, to do what IT wants and not what I want.

Instead, it starts on page “vi” and runs through “xii,” with the page that SHOULD be “xiii” being “1” instead. In addition, I don’t see any way to change any page numbering information in the “section manager” dropdown.

Finally, the “start on page” and “start page numbering at” boxes stay grayed out and, even if I could make a change—which I can’t—there’s nothing on the screen to let me know my choices have been SAVED. And, I would like to show you folks some of the page number arrangements and foolish duplications I am getting—which may be why page 2 comes directly after page 26—but clicking on the image of the spread (or the numerals beneath) doesn’t do one bloody thing, as I am told it should.

I guess I will spend a few more hours on this before I resort to doing everything manually. “sophisticated” can be another word for “overly convoluted.” If I were working on a 4-page sales flier, I wouldn’t be having this problem. But I write books.   

Screen Shot 2019-11-06 at 4.04.37 PM.png

12 minutes ago, WJC said:

Instead, it starts on page “vi” and runs through “xii,” with the page that SHOULD be “xiii” being “1” instead. In addition, I don’t see any way to change any page numbering information in the “section manager” dropdown.

Without seeing the document itself I can't comment on section 1 starting on page vi.

However, with repect to changing the page numbering, Section 1 always starts on page 1. That is, the page shown as Page 1 in the Pages panel. So the "start on page" box will always be grayed out for Section 1.

And Section 1 always ends on the last page of the document, unless you have created Section 2. In that case, Section 1 ends on the page just before Section 2. So, to change where Section 1 ends you would select Section 2 and change its "start on page" value.

With repect to showing you whether the changes are saved, the new values are shown in the Section Manager box as soon you update them. So whatever is showing there is what you have.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Yo, yer Waltness, thank you so much! Every piece of the puzzle is helpful in putting together the whole. I hope the NEW version will come with a manual as the first two programs did. For the reasons described, I have a hard time learning by osmoses and a manual would allow for trial and error, watching the results in real-time.

“However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results.” — Winston Churchill

Have a great day.

Hi, Again:

I’ve long been of the belief, that I was going to have to shift the pages of the whole book and insert my own page numbers. Yet, every time I think I am out of the woods, some other non-intuitive problem jumps before me. That being the case, I can finish neither my table of contents OR glossary.

T

he last piece of the puzzle I was waiting on was the foreword. I have it now and inserted it. Without auto-repagination, I have had to add an EXTRA page; it looks foolish, but I have to get this thing to press.

I started going through the book page by page. After my table of contents (still lacking page numbers), I find an orphaned page that has been duplicated from my preface ... Seven pages earlier. After that page, we have a 2 1/2-page duplicate from my introduction.

Trying to delete the text failed.

Trying to delete the pages failed.

Trying to unlink the text flow, thinking that might help, failed.

No matter what I remove, the pages I don’t want just reappear later in the book.

This should not be “rocket science.”

To stay alive—and keep my doctor happy—I’m going to walk away for a few hours.

Please help if you can.   

I've already sent the whole book to Serif employees, twice. However, I will send it to you, tomorrow. My "get up and go" has "got up and went" for today. It appears to accommodate my file size, but I have my doubts.

Hi, Wosven:

Attached you will find the entire book.

On a page numbered “1,” you will see a DUPLICATE page from the of my PREFACE followed by a DUPLICATE of my 2 ½-page INTRODUCTION from several pages earlier on pages numbered “2” through “4.”

As mentioned in my previous post, I have repeatedly tried to delete the text AND the pages themselves only to have those things continue to show up later. I have even tried to stop the text flow that I might be able to discard them; nothing has worked. Please teach me.

FINAL_The_Concise_Guide_191105.afpub

WJC, I have the same problem, but in a smaller , simpler, book/document of about 40 pages. And , importantly, no deadline.

I did try to correct the left/tight application of master pages "A" by re-applying the master but this deleted some content. So be careful even correcting it manually.

I started a thread before reading yours ( there were no replies ).

Needless to say , I hope you can get a solution, from which we can all learn. For my own document I am thinking of exporting the text, using cut and paste, into Word . creating a new document in A Publisher with the layout I want , and reimporting the text and images. It is an option for me only because the document I am working on is so simple. 

I will watch this space for a solution too so I hope Serif will post here when a solution is found

2 hours ago, Wosven said:

Hi,

As usual, the forum truncated the file and I can't open it, can you link it from an external service like Dropbox or Google drive?

Same for me. I don't know if it is a limitation of the forum software or what, but they really need to do something about this if possible because typical .afpub documents can be quite large.

Affinity Photo 

26 minutes ago, R C-R said:

a limitation of the forum software or what

I had to "edit" some posts to check the file's size and try to upload it again when it was different from the original, but I couldn't find a pattern: some bigger files upload without problem when other ones don't.

20 minutes ago, WJC said:

Wosven:

I'll see what I can do. As you can see, my file is a fraction of what this program SAYS it can deal with. I can see I should have done one more book in InDesign. But, I believed.

Try compressing it as a zip file. On Mac just select the file in the finder and right click on it and choose "Compress "FINAL_The_....""

1086225799_ScreenShot2019-11-11at8_37_45AM.thumb.png.643f8b739cbc43ae90b6e726565b993f.png

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Hi, Bruce,

The original file was 89.1 mg. After compression, it is 39 mg. According to instructions on the page, even full-sized, it SHOULD have fit into a TINY fraction of the allotted space. This has turned into a comedy of errors that is not in the least funny! Anyway, it's HOPEFULLY attached.

I just want the pages that I want deleted ... TO STAY THAT WAY so I can get to OTHER assinine problems.

FINAL_The_Concise_Guide_191105_copy_2.afpub.zip

I did as Bruce told me. I am so new to the program, I am just grasping at straws. I hate to bother the people at Serif directly, especially since it took a month to learn that the current version of AP does not have an auto-repagination feature and there would not be one for months.

I went to the tutorial section and typed in "deleting pages," which I thought was a valid query. But I only got the "Sorry" reply. Boy, I sure wish I could import my book into InDesign. There is no doubt this program has a great future. But the here and now is causing me massive headaches with answers to simple questions hiding under rocks.