You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

jpg file size inflated in AP

Hi there, I'm new to AP and have just shot a bunch of images as jpg's. I 've copied them to my hard drive and in explorer, they show as 3.3 - 3.5mb in size.

I open an image in AP, adjust exposure and crop the image and save it as a flattened image. Now in explorer the file size shows as 7-8mb in size!

What's going on?

Many thanks

6 minutes ago, MikeK36 said:

I've just reopened the previously edited 7mb file in AP and exported it - the file size now shoes as 1.4mb in explorer!? 

What was the Quality setting set to when you exported it?  (the one that goes from 0 to 100)

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Even if you open a JPG do no adjustments or anything to the file and just do a File > Save you can double or triple the file size

Not sure the exact reasons why but lack of any compression will play a part so best always to export the file and set your own quality settings

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

1 hour ago, MikeK36 said:

If you crop an image there are fewer pixels in it so saving it should make the file size smaller!

That depends on how it's being compressed, as Carl mentioned, and on how the original was compressed and optimized.

I think that when you Save a JPG file over the original, Photo saves it without compression. There's probably already a bug report and/or feature request associated with this.

Edit: Interestingly, with the amount of time I'm willing to spend searching, I found only one old feature request, and none of the other discussions that I expected to find. Maybe someone else knows of others or can find them.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1 hour ago, walt.farrell said:

when you Save a JPG file over the original, Photo saves it without compression. There's probably already a bug report and/or feature request associated with this.

It saves then with 100 % quality – JPEG cannot be saved without any compression. There has been some discussion what the quality setting should be (AP cannot know what the setting was in original), maybe it should sticky (quality should be the same as last export), but you really cannot be sure then what it really was and would be forced to set it to desired setting anyway in separate settings save. Then again, I think most users would think 70 % quality would be OK...

2 minutes ago, Fixx said:

It saves then with 100 % quality – JPEG cannot be saved without any compression. There has been some discussion what the quality setting should be (AP cannot know what the setting was in original), maybe it should sticky (quality should be the same as last export), but you really cannot be sure then what it really was and would be forced to set it to desired setting anyway in separate settings save. Then again, I think most users would think 70 % quality would be OK...

What most novice users may not realize is the dramatic cascading loss of quality for doing that (saving at anything less than the least-lossy option) multiple times. Default behavior cannot be assumed from a single action; if the user knows/thinks they know how the end product is going to be used, ok (I'm all for giving people the option to do things that may seem silly in the general case because not all cases are general) but "silliness" should be the exception. 

https://bmb.photos | Focus: The unexpected, the abstract, the extreme on screen, paper, & other physical outputTools: macOS (Primary: Ventura, MBP2018), Canon (Primary: 5D3), iPhone (Primary: 14PM), Nikon Film Scanners, Epson Printers

6 minutes ago, Fixx said:

It saves then with 100 % quality – JPEG cannot be saved without any compression.

According to exiftool, an original JPG file I examined had a compression setting of "JPEG (Old Style)" and the file that resulted from doing a Save in Photo had no compression information specified.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

12 minutes ago, Brad Brighton said:

What most novice users may not realize is the dramatic cascading loss of quality for doing that (saving at anything less than the least-lossy option) multiple times. Default behavior cannot be assumed from a single action; if the user knows/thinks they know how the end product is going to be used, ok (I'm all for giving people the option to do things that may seem silly in the general case because not all cases are general) but "silliness" should be the exception. 

True, but sometimes quick and dirty edit and save over is enough.

So is there no way that I can have only one edited file instead of 2 - the saved original jpg (gone form 2mb to 5mb) plus an exported version at 90% of 1,9mb?

All I want is to be able to apply some adjustments to an image, crop it and then save it, leaving 1 image of +-2mb (for example) on my HD instead of 2 totaling 7mb.

With 1000's of images, storage space is going to become real problem

5 hours ago, MikeK36 said:

So is there no way that I can have only one edited file instead of 2

Yes, there is.

1. Open the file, edit it, and then
  2. File > Export. Specify JPG as the export type, and other options you may want on the main dialog and the More... dialog, then press Export.
  3. Navigate to where you want to save the file, specify the original file name. Press Save. The system will ask if you want to overwrite the file. Respond appropriately to overwrite it.
  4. When you Close the file you're editing you will have to respond to a dialog prompt there, too.

-- Walt
PC:

You're welcome, Mike.

-- Walt
PC: